Henry Matthews and sons

Sorry cannot recall you,what year did you leave? I remember all the names you mentioned.Can you remember any of the digger drivers? Tommy Arliss,Les (ginger)Staniforth.Jim Bramwell.Jim Kay.Bill Dawson(My uncle) Low Loader drivers Jack Kay,Jimmy Wilson and Harry Glasby?

I remember them all very well especialy jack Kay when he decided to alter some cottages at oughtibridge!I sometimes went out with him in the new ERF low loader,it was me and cammy who converted the trailer for the ERF.Ill bet their all gon now but they all gave me some very happy memories.

• 2 weeks later...

i remender matthews in the early 50s they used to have coal lorrys and my uncle delievered for them his name was harry gill. i was only a young lad and when i went with them i pulled sacks to the side of the lorry i allways got a good breakfast at a cafe at the corner of neepsend lane can any one remember those times

I remember harry Gill,he lived top end of wybourn estate nr Sky edge. Used to drive for Matthews & Sandygate Haulage mostly working out of Tempered Springs Norfolk Bridge.Was looking at an old photograph of him with his lorry only just the other day.

hi frankjnr i don't know if you remember me my name is jack gelsthorpe i used to work for henry mathews in the 60s i used to one of the bedfords they had the habit of the engine running back wards if you did not dip the clutch quick enough .we worked on the sandstone estate when they were taking the top soil away .then i drove a s type bedforb on sadygate haulage on hire to cement factory in hope .