Henry Matthews and sons

Just come across this which brought back some early childhood memories, I was born 1952 and lived in Kelvin upto 1960 during that time i can still remember my father driving one of Matthews big trucks and even picking me up from Upperthorpe school a couple of times in it, My dad ''George Swallow'' passed away in his mid 40s but Mathews is just another trigger that brings happy memories of the short time i spent with him.

Just come across this which brought back some early childhood memories, I was born 1952 and lived in Kelvin upto 1960 during that time i can still remember my father driving one of Matthews big trucks and even picking me up from Upperthorpe school a couple of times in it, My dad ''George Swallow'' passed away in his mid 40s but Mathews is just another trigger that brings happy memories of the short time i spent with him.

I remember your dad very well he was a nice bloke sorry to hear he has gone from us.We used to Have some good laughs in the canteen.I started there in 1957 as an apprentice mechanic it was a good firm to work for.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Len Matthews, one of the sons, lived at 167 Hall Road, Handsworth, from 1939 until the late '40's, with his wife Mary, who was also the receptionist/secretary at Cricket Inn Road (I remember her voice well saying "Sheffield 23230"). Mary sadly died young (they didn't have any children), and Len remarried (and I believe did have children subsequently). He had moved by now to Greno Lodge, set well back on the left going out towards Chapeltown (?), and we lost contact thereafter, though my father did work for a spell at S A Ward, next door to Henry Matthews and Sons on Cricket Inn Road, and may have seen Len from time to time. My recollections of Len are of his lovely black Triumph Dolomite, his smart wavy hair, and his lovely tenor voice - as a kid during the War, I occasionally played the piano in their front room accompanying Len as sang for us and Mr and Mrs Keyworth from across the street (One Day When We Were Young was one of his favourites).

• 8 months later...

Message for Frankjnr. Your grandfather was my dad's uncle. His name was George Matthews & we share a greatgrandmother, Gertrude. My dad told us a lot of stories about Matthews family & the haulage company. You might remember dad's sisters, Nellie, Bet & Dot. Dot spent a lot of time at one of her cousins house, I think it was Harry. Nellie, Dot & my dad & families all emigrated to Australia in the 50's. Does Elijah Proverb ring a bell. We've got a lovely photo of Gertrude when she lived in Bernard street, she was a handsome woman, if you're interested I could send you a copy. Our grandfather, George Frederick Stuart was the brother of your grandfather Henry (who was your father?)

Sonia & Susan Matthews (your distant cousins)

Edited by LuluM

• 3 years later...

Len Mathews was married to my dads sister Mary (nee cawrey) my aunt and his first wife. I remember visiting them with my Dad, Mother and brother Ken at Greno lodge, I have photos of Len and Mary taken in the hall at Greno lodge just as they were about to leave  for a dinner and dance at the Cutlers Hall    Dennis cawrey 

• 7 months later...

This is a message for frankjnr

I have signed up to this forum as I am trying to help my dad locate Margaret who he believes was Henry’s daughter. He went to school with Margaret and he has one of her school books he would like to return. His name is Gerald Gregory and it was Gregg’s School in Sheffield.

I am hoping you can help me please?

Thanks

Claire