Beware of choosing your Broadband Provider

My blueyonder is lovely and ive never had any problems with it at all - never even been cut off and it never goes slower or anything. I also recommend the cable company for normal 56k aswell cos its fairly cheap and i also never got cut off or anything. Its way more reliable than any other company ive been with and ive been with a fair few. I wonder if anyone actually still has AOL 56k version where you pay for calls and get charged on top?

Originally posted by RPG

ever since then, this connection has been storming, i get around 478kbps down and a good 250 up now :)

Yes, it has been a lot better recently. Still, I'm moving house in a week or two, so it makes sense to go with someone else in my new place. For £35 a month Zen give you 1MBit with 8 static IP addresses and excellent support. Can't argue with that. I think it is £25 for 512MBit.

Originally posted by kittykat

My blueyonder is lovely and ive never had any problems with it at all - never even been cut off and it never goes slower or anything. I also recommend the cable company for normal 56k aswell cos its fairly cheap and i also never got cut off or anything. Its way more reliable than any other company ive been with and ive been with a fair few. I wonder if anyone actually still has AOL 56k version where you pay for calls and get charged on top?

My cable is excellent too. Continuous uptime since December last year with no glitches or failures.

I was with Pipex in london until I moved up here a few weeks ago. Although I was relatively happy with pipex the customer service was pretty bad - taking two weeks to reply to emails if they replied at all.

I have recommended (and installed in my line of work) a dozen zen adsl lines over east london and would totally recomend them. They are not the cheapest (27.99) for standard service - with activation fee - but they are very very good and you get a fixed ip address too.

I ordered my service when we moved in and five days later it went live. Because we might be moving in less than a year another advantage of zen is no 12 month contract - you can leave with a month's notice.

With the broadband scene set to change soon it makes sense to me to not get tied in to any one ISP - even one as good (now) as Zen.

Oh yes - another benefit is that as zen is mainly a buisness network the contention after hours is minimal!

So - empty your mind and embrace Zen!

(I don't work for them or get commision btw!)

Happy Pipex subscriber here.

Excellent value at £23.48 inc. VAT per month for 512 Kbps. The 1Mbps service at £28.95 per month is looking very tempting!

Couple of complaints though: the news server is pretty poor (use http://www.claranews.com, http://www.easynews.com or similar), and they're not good at responding to support/accounts emails. Phoning them is best.

Archived