Are you willing to admit your age

depoix

reading this thread takes me back to the time before we had a television,we had a wind up gramophone and a wireless,the biggest con ever by the bbc was to have a ventriloquist and his dummy performing on the air,i think it may have been archie andrews,even the news readers wore diner jackets or lounge suits, remember Gilbert Harding and lady Barnett ?

reading this thread takes me back to the time before we had a television,we had a wind up gramophone and a wireless,the biggest con ever by the bbc was to have a ventriloquist and his dummy performing on the air,i think it may have been archie andrews,even the news readers wore diner jackets or lounge suits, remember Gilbert Harding and lady Barnett ?

Yes - only the BBC could have got away with putting a ventriloquist act Educating Archie on the radio. The grumpy Gilbert Harding and Lady(like) Isobel Barnet were the stars of What's My Line? with my mother's heartthrob, Eamonn Andrews, presenting the show. The first UK soap was The Grove Family - with a very mild, almost didactic storyline, and of course there were children's favourites such as Andy Pandy, Muffin the Mule and The Flowerpot Men.

Does anyone remember Philip Harben, the TV chef? And of course, Michael Miles on Take Your Pick, with Bob Danvers-Walker banging the gong in the "yes-no interlude". And then there was the April 1st "spaghetti harvest" spoof in 1957. For years afterwards I was telling my shool pals how spaghetti grew on trees.

Hmmm... Now I'm really showing my age...

Yes - only the BBC could have got away with putting a ventriloquist act Educating Archie on the radio. The grumpy Gilbert Harding and Lady(like) Isobel Barnet were the stars of What's My Line? with my mother's heartthrob, Eamonn Andrews, presenting the show. The first UK soap was The Grove Family - with a very mild, almost didactic storyline, and of course there were children's favourites such as Andy Pandy, Muffin the Mule and The Flowerpot Men.

Does anyone remember Philip Harben, the TV chef? And of course, Michael Miles on Take Your Pick, with Bob Danvers-Walker banging the gong in the "yes-no interlude". And then there was the April 1st "spaghetti harvest" spoof in 1957. For years afterwards I was telling my shool pals how spaghetti grew on trees.

Hmmm... Now I'm really showing my age...

remember all of those and another cooking show.johny and fanny craddock,johny was always nipping the cooking sherry and his greatest gaff of all time was when fanny was making doughnuts,live on t v ,at the end of the show he filled his wine glass and toasted the audience with the immortal words..... may all your doughnuts turn out like fannies ..:hihi::hihi:

Archived