Online check in?

Check in online means you avoid the big queue at the airport, and drop your luggage off at the Fast Drop-In, and make your way straight to security.

The money extra thing will only happen if your suitcase is heavier than the allowed amount.

EDIT: Realised you DO get charged. Never knew that! O.O Apologies!

I am looking to book a flight for myself and 2 kids 8 and 10 and it is a cheaper to go for online check in. Has anyone used this and can tell me what do you do with your cases etc and is it straightforward? Thanks in advance.

Online check in is only availible with hand luggage.Any thing else you have to check in at the desk.We flew BMI to Amsterdam 2 weeks ago and online check in can only be done up to 48 hrs before departure , so your return leg check in has to be done before you leave that country.

Online check in is only availible with hand luggage.Any thing else you have to check in at the desk.We flew BMI to Amsterdam 2 weeks ago and online check in can only be done up to 48 hrs before departure , so your return leg check in has to be done before you leave that country.

You sure about that, ive used OLCI with BMI within 60 mins of my flight departing.

Also you can use OLCI even if you have luggage with you, you just take them to a bag drop off desk, ive done this with both BA & BMI.

If your flying with BA from Heathrow Terminal 5 as far as i know they no longer have the traditional check in desks anymore unless your flying in First or hold Gold / Premier status with the airline. If you dont OLCI you have to use one of these Heathrow Terminal 5 - Check-in Kiosk then drop any luggage off at a bag drop off desk.

You sure about that, ive used OLCI with BMI within 60 mins of my flight departing.

Also you can use OLCI even if you have luggage with you, you just take them to a bag drop off desk, ive done this with both BA & BMI.

If your flying with BA from Heathrow Terminal 5 as far as i know they no longer have the traditional check in desks anymore unless your flying in First or hold Gold / Premier status with the airline. If you dont OLCI you have to use one of these Heathrow Terminal 5 - Check-in Kiosk then drop any luggage off at a bag drop off desk.

What i meant was checkin not allowed untill 48 hrs before departure and up to 60 mins before gates close.BMI charging for baggage and for selecting your seating.

We bought tickets for Ryan Air through an agent for a cheap getaway last year and chose online check in. We didn't do the online check in at the hotel before our return flight and just turned up at the airport. Although we had no luggage, the counter clerk wouldnt let us check in before directing us to an ultra long queue where we had to pay about a tenner as a fee for not doing online check in. The queue was so long and being joined at every angle by other unhappy travellers that it took us an hour to get to the front, pay the fee, then join the queue for check in. We almost missed the flight.

Thinking back, the hotel didn't have internet for the use of the public and there were no internet cafes nearby so it would have been difficult to do this online check in. I'd always pay the extra fiver for an airport check in.

• 11 months later...

The OP hasn't identified an airline.

The posts mentioning problems are very valuable as a 'heads-up', but, in general, online check-in is well worth using to save (a little) time and to select seats.

Most airlines will have a desk set aside of 'online check-in' bags.

Archived