High Green Liberal Club.

Does anyone remember going to high green liberal club in the mid 70,s. it occupied the same premises that is now pickwicks or The pickwick or whatever its called know,on packhorse lane. anyway there used to be a disco on a wednesday night and all drinks were 20p. yes ,newcastle brown 20p a bottle. bus fare was 5p each way from .ecclesfield.

• 3 weeks later...

i went in the greengate for my niece,s 20th b/day last year, first time i had been in for years and it was nice to see it hadnt changed all that much. good disco,my sister did the buffet and we didnt have far to wobble home. the chip oil opposite int bad either.

High Green Libs was a good venue for bands but the Greengate was a major local venue in the late 60s 70s with good live bands and one of the first discoes. It could get a bit lively when the Parsons Cross crew bumped into those from Hoyland and the local High Greeners.

i went in the greengate for my niece,s 20th b/day last year, first time i had been in for years and it was nice to see it hadnt changed all that much. good disco,my sister did the buffet and we didnt have far to wobble home. the chip oil opposite int bad either.

High Green Libs was a good venue for bands but the Greengate was a major local venue in the late 60s 70s with good live bands and one of the first discoes. It could get a bit lively when the Parsons Cross crew bumped into those from Hoyland and the local High Greeners.

I have lived in Highgreen most of my life and I can assure you that some Highgreeners dont need anyone from outside to fight with, they are happy to fight amongst themselves. We used to call The Greengate the Vietnam Hotel.

Saigon was quieter on a friday.:hihi::hihi:

Def Leppard played there.

I have quoted this many times but I was at scouts (High Green 105). One night, in the scout hut next to the club and we could hear this band next door and our scout master was complaining about the horrible noise, then he said "What kinda name is Def Leppard anyway"

I saw them In Cincinnati last year and it was so funny how many people thought they are an American band ... I kept saying "They're from Sheffield" ... obviously they looked at me like I was crazy.

Archived