New hang out place to open soon-with your help

zion

it's the old mulberry inn tavern. good area, it think-o2 academy(used to be carling academy) the theaters and that. much bigger inseide than i expected and can see what parts can become what in the shell it currently is.

people have asked question about the notoreity(sp) of the area considering castle market and the pubs round there but think it could work.

The old Mulberry Tavern is indeed a good bet; like the Matilda its been derelict for at least 5 years, but its nice and central too, not too far from Hallam Uni; it'll be necessary to give it a thorough re-branding, though, to get people really talking about the venue!

Best of Luck,a nd looking forward to visiting!

Well I'm getting rather excited about this now, make sure it's not on a Wednesday, and I'll bring all the students that currently go the night I was talking about along....

Any closer to a theme, apart from 'bring your own chair' yet?

:D

not saying that you'd be actively encouraged to bring your own book and not buy anything, just that you'd not be told off or asked to buy anything. the hope is people feel they can come over just to chill out. it tends to work itself out if people are comfortable with coming in and do come in. there's a huge upstairs bit which i hope will host dance classes, drumming-got people looking to book it- and ohter once a month or something events-film shows etc. again, you can come watch and not pay or buy anything:-)

going to hold many africa(meaning world music biased towards african) nights on fridays and saturdays=thinking twice a month or so=as not many places do that round these parts. added to the open mic, acoustic, world music etc nights and things. the general rule-mine-is that music plays but not so loud as to drown people talking out, as it's more hangout that rock out most times.

people with tickets to theater, o2 academy etc would get discounts. bring five friends in you get a drink free for every round of whatever they buy....

most open to other suggestions.:help::help:

the books dvd and all else-if sold- will go to whatever cause we all decide. ANY.

babybel, the theme, i guess, is you feeling like you in at a friend's party.

was thinking of getting vending machine for drinks-bar obviously needed for cocktails etc- to keep the costs of wages down therefore overall prices low. fear it would make the place rather impersonal, but also feel it'd put the choice and in the customer's hands. what say you?

not saying that you'd be actively encouraged to bring your own book and not buy anything, just that you'd not be told off or asked to buy anything. the hope is people feel they can come over just to chill out. it tends to work itself out if people are comfortable with coming in and do come in. there's a huge upstairs bit which i hope will host dance classes, drumming-got people looking to book it- and ohter once a month or something events-film shows etc. again, you can come watch and not pay or buy anything:-)

going to hold many africa(meaning world music biased towards african) nights on fridays and saturdays=thinking twice a month or so=as not many places do that round these parts. added to the open mic, acoustic, world music etc nights and things. the general rule-mine-is that music plays but not so loud as to drown people talking out, as it's more hangout that rock out most times.

people with tickets to theater, o2 academy etc would get discounts. bring five friends in you get a drink free for every round of whatever they buy....

most open to other suggestions.:help::help:

the books dvd and all else-if sold- will go to whatever cause we all decide. ANY.

babybel, the theme, i guess, is you feeling like you in at a friend's party.

was thinking of getting vending machine for drinks-bar obviously needed for cocktails etc- to keep the costs of wages down therefore overall prices low. fear it would make the place rather impersonal, but also feel it'd put the choice and in the customer's hands. what say you?

Vending machine works for me (as long as there is a chocolate one as well, PLEASE!).

Have you got a website/Facebook/Myspace et al up and running yet?

no facebook/myspace etc yet. have bought the domain name and hosting etc-if that's what it's called!!!!-and am now just working on building the site. not very computer saavy so taking a while with the DIY software with the hope of giving it to pros when i hit a snag. which has already happened.

I think you're on to a winner mate, and there's such a diverse range of nights and events that you're very unlikely to get stuck with the same crowd of people, you could also get some volunteers in (nudge nudge) to keep the cost down and a helping hand to run the night. Once you've got an overall feel of what you can advertise and how, looking through facebook and asking through word of mouth to see what's out there (facebook's good for this) and visitor numbers etc.

it's the old mulberry inn tavern. good area, it think-o2 academy(used to be carling academy) the theaters and that. much bigger inseide than i expected and can see what parts can become what in the shell it currently is.

people have asked question about the notoreity(sp) of the area considering castle market and the pubs round there but think it could work.

It used to be packed in the old Roxy days - seems like a good idea, about time it was used for something :thumbsup:

Archived