New hang out place to open soon-with your help

zion

Sounds great that things are going well for the new venue; would Zion be interested in hosting some live music/poetry/literary events there during an arts festival I am organising for May/June? I'll pop in at the Mulberry sometime to give more details...

opening is tagged for round mid june so might be too late. anyone who does dance etc classes can have the place free or cut price if you agree to take some people_kids if you do it during the day-free. we can always talk about particulars. painting classes etc, studio space upstairs between second floor of pub and apartment.

no facebook/myspace etc yet. have bought the domain name and hosting etc-if that's what it's called!!!!-and am now just working on building the site. not very computer saavy so taking a while with the DIY software with the hope of giving it to pros when i hit a snag. which has already happened.

Might be able to help with this side of things. I'm not a pro but can handle my own in building small sites. I'm a graphic designer looking to branch out into web design and am sort of learning as I go - I know there are some very talented web designers on the forum but i'd be happy to help for next to nothing as I could do with a project to get my teeth into to advance my portfolio.

Message me if you're interested.

this sounds great, we will really be interested and would love to help with anything we can do. my partner said a corner for people to take their guitars and have a jam would be nice too. Hope it all works out for you

the corner's already been planned for:thumbsup: though the thing i know-i write, sculpt and paint-is that people would need to 'feel' it to use it. so might just let whoever wats to jam pick a spot. in my experience-eg in the red deer- people will pick the same or similar spot so nt too worried bout the whole place becoming one big jam session. though that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing:)

been asked the question 'with the being so much free and cut price at this place you want to start how are you going to make enough to keep it open?'

the short head-in-the-clouds answer would be to say i'm not in it for the money. true that as it maybe it'd be naive and downright silly.

there's a big dance space upstairs-a little bigger than the dance floor in cellar thirty five, a little smaller than casbar downstairs, or bedroom() and so planning on hosting different nights up there. got a few soundsystems will pretty loyal followings looking to use the place s that should be ok. the business plan for the club side of things shows it should work just fine.

the downstairs-my baby- will make enough to pull its own weight as long as we get enough people to come in.t

and there in lies the question. have had people who host nights similar to the VIBES, NICHE etc kind of nights, some who do EMBRACE kind of nights, some ICE BAR, TAKAPUNA kind, through to live music and all. the whole spectrum. the communist and artist in me says this is great and a good thing. the businessman and realist(another word for cynic) says different crowds bring different problems and some more than others and even if they don't the perception of what your place is hosting can be as damaging as a body on the door at the end of the night. besides, every business needs to have a specific target demography-good god!*-. not really sure how to deal with this one as the more successful the nights are the more (community and other) projects can be done withou too keen an eye kept on the purse.he free and cut price stuff-lessons, studio space, second hand books and clothes etc will go to making sure that htese continue. would be heartbroken if it had to stop but, unless i can afford it, i'd be wary of keeping them running if i had to bank roll them.

hope this answers it.

• 2 weeks later...

the mulberry tavern thing fell through. found the place that used to be platinum lounge then identity in recent years. still want to work to the same basic ethic but am aware that people might-no, WILL-not be too eager to go all the way to attercliff. the rents and things a pretty good and the decor though not what i had in mind, is very well done, i must say. people up for a world music etc place out of town?

Archived