Landlords keeping deposits

Has anyone else had an absolute nightmare trying to get thier hard-earned deposits back off fleeting landlords??

Three months after moving out my landlord ISG tried to charge me £199 out of a £200 deposit for carpet cleaning!!!

The criminals.

Someone please tell me it ain't just me.

Mags

when i was a student in a 4 bed house, our landlord tried to keep all four deposits because the sofa was 'dirty' (which it wasn't) so thats 4x200= £800 for some fabric shampoo!!! eventually got it back after threatening him with legal action.

but having been a landlady myself, i had a tenant who caused me £1,000 worth of damage and i only got his bond towards the cost. but i would never try and make an innocent lodger pay for someone elses mess.

It isn't just you. Happened to me too. I really wish I had done something about it, but at the time I just couldn't be bothered with the stress.

Among other things, he charged us for carpet cleaning (even though we had already had it professionally done ourselves!) and I found out from the people living there after us that he had not actually done it.

What really annoyed me at the time was that we had left the place in a better condition that we had found it. We had spent hours cleaining it, and when we handed it over he said "yeah but what it really could do with is a woman's touch".

This wasn't some independant landlord, this was a well known Sheffield Estate Agent.

There are a lot of landlords that are nothing more than crooks. It is a shame because there are some really good ones out there.

Guest costessey

Tennants only get the deposit back if they've given me a trouble free time...i'm not so bothered about minor wear and tear, but chasing up rents costs me time, and thats where i recoup it

Archived