Sunday school

We were sent to Sunday School twice every week! I guess it kept us from being underfoot. One was in our street (Swarcliffe Rd, Darnall) and t'other was at the Channing Hall on Surrey St... and was tied to Brownies in some way - at least, "Auntie Gertie" was both Tawny Owl and Sunday School teacher, IIRC.

I went to Sunday School at Hatfield House Lane Methodist Church for many years. I took all my Scripture Exams and Temperance Knowledge Exams there. I was alsoo in the Girl Brigade, and used to do a weekly missionary collection, you had a money box shaped like a church and you had to have family and friends sign up to donate a set amount each week and then I had to collect it in the box and sign like a receipt book.

In the 50s I went to SS at a small church on Richmond Rd. Might have been a Wesleyan Chapel. Not that my parents were religious or anything. They just wanted time by themselves on Sunday afternoons. When I got a bit older, I realized why. :hihi:

I went to Richmond Wesleyan chapel as well in the 50s and have a photo of the whit walk from there taken 1953 when I was an attendant to the May queen. It was printed in the book on Handsworth.

Archived