Pantry and Larder - What is the difference?

I remember when we moved into our house on Southey Green Estate in the 50s the men came to paint the bathroom & kitchen they did like a sponge painting design on the walls but they used a rubber gadget with slits in it and just dabbed it all over the walls , it must have been a standard paint job as they did it in all the houses the without asking, then few years ago sponge painting came into style...nothing new to the council back in the 40/50s.

On is for dry goods and the other is cold and for fresh goods.

Is my guess.

That's the way I see it too. Larder used as cold storage for fresh foods and fitted with cold slab-shelf usually situated furthest from living and heated areas of the house, and pantry for storage of crockery, pans, tinned and dry goods much the same as modern-day kitchen cabinets.

we had a bucket at the top of the stairs just for number 1s and a tin bath many a time walked in to find my dad washing the coal dust off after a shift down the pit. in front of the yorkshire range.

We had a pantry,with a cold shelf in it and like cleanup.....A nice plastic bucket to wee in on the landing..:hihi:

Archived