Nawaab Indian Restaurant, West Street

bizzle

• 4 weeks later...

I went to downtown Akbar on West st old Lahore i could not believe my taste buds have comeback this is defo proper Indian curry what I used to eat when i worked in India. I asked to say Hi to the Chef; he came out and hey he was an Indian at last! with degrees! we have a Indian Restaurant with with proper Indi food not Pakistanis cooking! What a relief.............. The colour of the dish resembles the food.................So if you guys want a proper curry always ask for the chef before ordering............... if hes Indian you will know and........... if not then u know where the doors is.

The chef told me he does Indian English FUSHION .....whether we get the fushion or not ...........we ain't had curries like this in Yorkshire we are use to Pakistani curries not INDIAN and now we have it........

---------- Post added 04-02-2013 at 14:07 ----------

I have read some previous posts .all I CAN say they must have had teething problems but hey the curries are the best! now they must have sorted there initial problems out.

The name IS IT A confusion? is it Akbar from Meadowhall well they made it absolutely clear IT IS NOT........does our food taste like theres... does our inside LOOK LIKE THERE'S? He said we are Downtown Akbars nothing at all in similarity they are Pakistani and we are Indians! The Manager jokingly said.

If anyone has any problems they should ask for the chef at least so who's cooking your food apart from speaking to Managers.......... cleanliness and if hes professional you will know like I have the difference!

We should be more picky on the food not the name............ With the food they have why would they wish to jump on the back of a Pakistani Yorkshire brand I AM AT LOSS.........

I went to downtown Akbar on West st old Lahore i could not believe my taste buds have comeback this is defo proper Indian curry what I used to eat when i worked in India. I asked to say Hi to the Chef; he came out and hey he was an Indian at last! with degrees! we have a Indian Restaurant with with proper Indi food not Pakistanis cooking! What a relief.............. The colour of the dish resembles the food.................So if you guys want a proper curry always ask for the chef before ordering............... if hes Indian you will know and........... if not then u know where the doors is.

The chef told me he does Indian English FUSHION .....whether we get the fushion or not ...........we ain't had curries like this in Yorkshire we are use to Pakistani curries not INDIAN and now we have it........

I have read some previous posts .all I CAN say they must have had teething problems but hey the curries are the best! now they must have sorted there initial problems out.

The name IS IT A confusion? is it Akbar from Meadowhall well they made it absolutely clear IT IS NOT........does our food taste like theres... does our inside LOOK LIKE THERE'S? He said we are Downtown Akbars nothing at all in similarity they are Pakistani and we are Indians! The Manager jokingly said.

If anyone has any problems they should ask for the chef at least so who's cooking your food apart from speaking to Managers.......... cleanliness and if hes professional you will know like I have the difference!

We should be more picky on the food not the name............ With the food they have why would they wish to jump on the back of a Pakistani Yorkshire brand I AM AT LOSS.........

IIt shouldn't matter whether a place is Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Nepalese, Sri Lankan, whatever. I understand that the majority of "Indian" restaurants in this area are Bangladeshi's or Indians, not Pakistani's. The Akbar chain originating from West Yorkshire are indeed Pakistani. I've always found their food excellent and even though it's a long way out of town I go there in preference to other places more local. Judging by the fact that it's packed out every night of the week I think others have found the same.

I remember being introduced to Akbars many years ago now, maybe 20 years ago, when I worked around West Yorkshire. It had built a reputation back then for being one of the best in that area and eventually it opened in Sheffield (and Manchester as well).

I can see entirely why this new place on West Street might want to give the impression that it's something to do with the West Yorkshire Akbar chain.

If it's very good in its own right then that's excellent news and I'll be interested to give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

If you like a REAL Indian curry then you will have to go to an Indian restaurant and ask to speak to the chef preferably before you order I did and ask what he recommended i had the best Biryani ever.......

Akbars restaurant is defo Pakistani cuisine not Indian a big difference in the quality of food if you have taste buds and have tasted proper Indian as majority of the restaurants especially in Bradford are based from there are all Pakistani's.

We went as a group for a birthday at Downtown and got discount for a group of 8! went twice as groups at Akbar once in Leeds and once in Rotherham and we never got even after asking...

My vote is 8 out 10 for downtown ................ The telegraph review was very in depth and good.

10 out of 10 only for food eaten in India..............

I thought Pakistan and India were one country before with same culture and food dishes etc.

Think i might try downtown akbars tonight

We went last week and enjoyed it.

The food was tasty with a nice kick, although I found out last night that my mate asked them to make it nice and spicy, hence the extra chillis.

Service was good and decent prices. I'll definitely be back for more when we have an Indian night again (last night it was Effes. :)).

Regards

Doom

Archived