What were you doing 20 years ago today 15/04

spudgun

We were at home near Sheffield Lane Top and could hear the sirens but not aware of what was going off, my wife worked and still does at the Northern A&E and was on duty on that fateful afternoon.I will never forget the look on her face when she finally arrived home from work on Saturday night.I sincerely hope to god that this country and all it`s football followers (which i am one) never have to live through anything as horrendous as that day again.Our thoughts are with those families directly involved :sad:

Well me and my friend who supported Liverpool, met his brother that day as his brother was going to the game so we sampled a couple of beers before he went to the game. Afterwards we were stood on the bridge on Leppings Lane watching the panic outside the turnstyles and then thats when the gates opened at the back of the stand. We nearly with the rush got taken towards the gate for all the fans trying to get in made a rush for it. Thankfully but we did not know it at that time did not get into the ground. My mates brother who also supported Liverpool was in the ground but in a different stand, but as you can imagine when news started to filter outside what was happening he was very worried as there were no mobile phones well not many anyway.

So we walked around the ground to see what was happening, we could see into the Leppings Lane end and could see people climbing over the fencing and and being pulled into the upper tier of the stand, the strange thing was how silent it was from the rest of the ground apart from shouting and screaming coming from the Leppings Lane terrace.

Was an awful day, and when we started to hear from people coming out of the ground that there are people dead in there the realisation of what was happening started to hit us, and after about an hour we started to walk back towards Sheffield City centre, along with thousands of others, with a huge queue of ambulances on penistone road, I have never seen so many and hope I never see so many ever again. The walk to City centre was so quiet, and did not know the horror of it until I rang my parents and after the relief after hearing my voice as they knew I went to the ground, they unfolded what was happening and the fact there was many dead on the awful warm spring day.

A day I will never forget for the wrong reasons.

I first learned of the tragedy as it started to unfold on TV. I was at my nans (RIP). I went home and put BBC Radio Sheffield on. They were trying to get reports and a police officer rang in and said that the fans had pushed the gate down and then serged and caused crushing in the stadium. It seemed to be as soon as this call had finished that a steward (if I remember correctly) came on and said it was not the fans that had pushed the gate down but a police officer who had given the order for the gate to be opened in spite of strong advice and a warning to the possible consequences. Does anyone else remember the BBC Radio Sheffield coverage that day?

I felt quite helpless. I wanted to do something but didn't know what to do. We were getting phone calls from around the world that day, as we are avid footie fans, and people were checking we were ok but I remember keeping calls as brief as possible as we had been informed that the exchange couldn't cope with all the calls.

We listed to Hallam FM in the evening. I remember just sitting in my car, crying buckets. What a sad, sad, day. And how the fans have been treated since is a disgrace.

I didn't realise until I saw the ambulance driver on TV last night that his was the only ambulance that the police let through and he said they lied about the reasons for not letting other ambulances in, that were wanting to get in and could have saved lives. I know it was chaos that day and there were lots of heroes but it's time the fans had justice.

JUSTICE FOR THE 96!

Watch LFC TV Live coverage of memorial on VM Channel 544 free all day. I've just seen the Secretary of State for Sport get a bit of an undressing!

I was 24 ! I was a nanny for a family of 2 children, they were on holiday. I was at home in the Isle of wight with my family as it was my great grandmothers 100th birthday which was so special , I had never thought she would live that long , My great Auntie kate was 99 on the same day!

I worked in the catering dept at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and was about to go off shift when we were asked if anyone could work over as there had been a major incident at Hillsborough. Quite a few of us stayed, and relayed drinks and sandwiches to Accident & Emergency, for both staff and unfortunate patients and their relatives. I'll never forget taking a tray of sarnies down to A & E and seeing all the mattresses laid out on the floors, corridors etc. Also I can remember that a lot of the hospital staff came in on their days off to volunteer their services

We were having our house painted.The painters stopped work to ask if something had happened because all you could hear was the sound of sirens from the police and ambulances on Herries Road heading for the hospital.It was only later we heard the terrible news.

I was at the game on the Kop with the Forest fans - I remember looking at the Liverpool end at kick off and wondering why it was not full - all the Forest fans were in the ground at 3.00 with only a few late comers still outside.

I was at the Owls v Everton semi at Villa Park a few years earlier - the police had a filter system on the roads leading to the ground - if you had no ticket you could not even get near the turnstyles .

If Only !!

I was 9 at the time and at my Grans in Ecclesall and may parents came back from town around 16:00 and put the telly on saying there was been a a major incident at Hillborough and we saw pictures from the ground.

I am still angry and upset at the police and others 20 years on.

Horrid for the friends and familes who lost loved ones and for all concerned at the ground.

Archived