What were you doing 20 years ago today 15/04

spudgun

I was about 10 years old and I'd been on a school trip to Wales that week. We were on the coach on the way home to Chesterfield when the news came on the Radio. One of the female teachers was distressed and being comforted by the other teachers because her husband and son had gone to the match. As soon as the coach reached the school she lept off it - presumably heading for a phone. I remember thinking that I'd never seen anyone move so fast. I can't have really comprehended what I'd heard about trouble at a football match.

it was 10-30am and i was watching tele..the phone rang and my mate said (were on our way to pick you up,got you a ticket for the match as a birthday pressie) superb i say,see you in an hour or so.............30 mins later theres a knock at my door--its a friend i'd been working with for a few weeks,he's come round to beg me to work today as he has an important job to finish...i say no,no,no i'm going to the match...next thing he's offered me double wages for an afternoons work,dinner thrown in,lift home etc etc........after 10 mins i say ok i'll work then....quick change of cloth'es then off out...wrote a note to stick on my door saying to my mates that i had to work and to sell the ticket,,i would meet them in the pub later................never did get to meet them in the pub,,one of them was found with a spare ticket in his pocket.......

Out drinking Tenants Extra in the Plough at Hathersage on a bright, sunny morning (clear blue skies and full of the joys of spring).

My mate, who rarely drove, picked me up. We went over Ringinglow and he had a Roachford (Cuddly Toy - remember him?) tape on in his knackered old red Fiesta. The song that was playing was called something like Sunny Day and I was 19 years old at the time, full of youthful zest and vigour.

We went to the Plough, the Scotsman's Pack and probably some other country pub. We came back to our local (Rising Sun in Nethergreen) and then went to the Ranmoor Inn. That is where I first saw the pictures on TV. Immediately, with the numbers crushed into the Leppings Lane terrace, I knew there was way too many people on that terrace.

My mate had to take the car back to his mum. She was a nurse and she had to go to the Hallamshire to help out. When my mate returned his face was as white as a ghost.

That night in the Rising Sun, a few Liverpool fans were in. They came up to me showing their complete tickets (still attached to the stub) and the crush marks on their wrists. They were no bother though, nice lads who had decided to stay the night in Sheffield and try and drink the memories away.

The following Sunday, an overcast sky matched the solemn mood of the city.

20 years later, the memories are still fresh and in a sense heavier as I am now a parent and cannot imagine the horrors that the parents (and relatives) of the deceased must go through every day.

RIP.

Archived