Men going topless in Public

So possibly not understand the societal norms that mean some people expect you to keep your clothes on in the street?

Yes, exactly- the 'societal norms that mean some people expect you to keep your clothes on in the street' have no basis in rationality: 'normals' can't see that precisely because they are totally geared to conforming to those social norms.

Aspies cannot see those norms. Norms do not obscure the rational basis as they do for non-aspies. Therefore the aspie can clearly see the absence of any rational basis lying below those norms.

---------- Post added 16-07-2014 at 14:27 ----------

I think Dave has a glandular problem if he's sweating that much in 22c that he needs to take his shirt off to cool down.

I don't sweat much at all. But walking for 2 hours, often carrying heavy shopping (eating up to 20 bananas a day along with lots of other heavy, bulky fruit, requires carrying it home first), or being out of the bike, clearly results in a sweaty t-shirt.

makes a big difference- I always used to burn harshly round the exposed neck area, especially at the back- never was anything but pale and white on the parts covered with a t-shirt.

For that reason, I'm saying t-shirts do block vitamin D.

It's part of it. High functioning autistics/aspergics are provenly better at rationality than non-aspies.

They're rubbish at grasping many social based communication aspects. I suspect that maybe though, it's that very processing power possessed by normals that interferes when looking at situations/problems purely rationally- they can't switch it off.

It would explain why so many otherwise intelligent non-aspies come out with the rubbish they do :)

It's all a scale though isn't it. Some people are better at being logical, others at being empathic. And somebody has drawn a line on the scale and said "beyond this" we'll call it a mental illness.

OT I know

So possibly not understand the societal norms that mean some people expect you to keep your clothes on in the street?

Yeah possibly.

Aspies are very black or white. There could be a rule that says all tops to be worn in shops. Some will contest this as there is no logic to this decision. Others will adhere to this rigidly. The confusion then comes when they see a guy in a kiosk at skeggy in speedos. We can see the difference of why this acceptable and not contrary to the rules, they don't.

Yes, exactly- the 'societal norms that mean some people expect you to keep your clothes on in the street' have no basis in rationality: 'normals' can't see that precisely because they are totally geared to conforming to those social norms.

Aspies cannot see those norms. Norms do not obscure the rational basis as they do for non-aspies. Therefore the aspie can clearly see the absence of any rational basis lying below those norms.

You've missed out the large middle ground though.

Many people can see both that it is somewhat irrational and that it is also a norm that some people will expect you to conform to.

So most of the time, they conform, because it's easier than people staring at you and being made to feel uncomfortable.

I don't sweat much at all. But walking for 2 hours, often carrying heavy shopping (eating up to 20 bananas a day along with lots of other heavy, bulky fruit, requires carrying it home first), or being out of the bike, clearly results in a sweaty t-shirt.

I take a change of t-shirt to work.

It's all a scale though isn't it. Some people are better at being logical, others at being empathic. And somebody has drawn a line on the scale and said "beyond this" we'll call it a mental illness.

Aspergia isn't a mental illness dude :)

---------- Post added 16-07-2014 at 14:39 ----------

I take a change of t-shirt to work.

Bully for you :)

I carry mine in a bag, in case I have to go in a supermarket.

---------- Post added 16-07-2014 at 14:40 ----------

Yeah possibly.

Aspies are very black or white. There could be a rule that says all tops to be worn in shops. Some will contest this as there is no logic to this decision. Others will adhere to this rigidly. The confusion then comes when they see a guy in a kiosk at skeggy in speedos. We can see the difference of why this acceptable and not contrary to the rules, they don't.

It's safe to say I know considerably more about aspergia than you. I'd suggest you do a few hours research.

It's safe to say I know considerably more about aspergia than you. I'd suggest you do a few hours research.
one son has aspergers if you need to know. He gets confused just like that, when rules and behaviours get blurred.

Maybe you need the research if only to tell you all autistics can behave differently for similar circumstances.

for what it's worth, I was actually on your side, defending you saying that one behaviour or another for a given circumstance doesn't mean that an aspie is out of order in his behaviour - they see things differently.

I'm not defending any more. Sorry if you're narked, that was not the intention.

Aspergia isn't a mental illness dude :)

It was a mental disorder until 2013

The diagnosis of Asperger's was eliminated in the 2013 fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) and replaced by a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder on a severity scale.

Now ASD is a mental disorder and Aspergers doesn't exist.

Maybe the term illness isn't PC, but that seems like splitting hairs to me.

Maybe you need the research if only to tell you all autistics can behave differently for similar circumstances.

Wasn't me starting with the generalisations-

Aspies are very black or white.

---------- Post added 16-07-2014 at 17:56 ----------

one son has aspergers if you need to know.

I've got it. I know first hand what aspergers is like- I am an aspie.

Lived 47 years undiagnosed and taken a world of crap- not because of the aspergers, but because of the prejudices and irrationality of 'normals' trying to impose their bizarre social norms and close minded rituals on someone who lacks the neurological equipment to see or follow those norms.

Now I know why, I'm feeling very optimistic.

I'm not disabled, I'm enabled.

---------- Post added 16-07-2014 at 17:59 ----------

for what it's worth, I was actually on your side, defending you saying that one behaviour or another for a given circumstance doesn't mean that an aspie is out of order in his behaviour - they see things differently.

I'm not defending any more. Sorry if you're narked, that was not the intention.

I don't think you were. I think you thought you were. If you were on my side then, you would be now. Instead you've misunderstood something I said, took it as a slight, and now you're feeling a bit vindictive.

I'm not at all narked- I don't need defending, especially if it's that conditional and as far as I'm concerned, other peoples problems are other peoples problems.

---------- Post added 16-07-2014 at 18:01 ----------

It was a mental disorder until 2013

I said it wasn't a mental 'illness'.

It isn't now and, never was.

---------- Post added 16-07-2014 at 18:03 ----------

Now ASD is a mental disorder and Aspergers doesn't exist.

True- they've changed the classifications and no longer use the word 'aspergers'.

Aspies however, will continue to call themselves what they wish :)