Jersey New Potatoes

clearboys

I must admit that when I see the first Jersey Royals displayed so beautifully amongst a bit of rustic looking earth it makes my mouth water. BUT.......experience has taught me that not only is the price totally ridiculous, but the taste of these spuds just isn't the same as it used to be.

I now look away and walk on by, and wait until the much cheaper and tastier Boston's hit the shelves. By then my own home grown mint is ready for picking and adding to the pan of boiling Bostons. Awwwwww........I would kill for some Bostons right now.

I must admit that when I see the first Jersey Royals displayed so beautifully amongst a bit of rustic looking earth it makes my mouth water. BUT.......experience has taught me that not only is the price totally ridiculous, but the taste of these spuds just isn't the same as it used to be.

I now look away and walk on by, and wait until the much cheaper and tastier Boston's hit the shelves. By then my own home grown mint is ready for picking and adding to the pan of boiling Bostons. Awwwwww........I would kill for some Bostons right now.

I agree with all the others regarding Bostons. They have a much better flavour, really looking forward to when they hit the shelves I can make a meal of Boston potatoes and some nice salad, delish

Hear, hear to all the Boston comments - have to agree they are better in flavour and cost than ridiculously priced Jerseys...

Btw, I work at Beanies on Crookes Valley Road, and we bought our first bag of this year's Jerseys last week - just so you know, wholesale, they cost us £33.00 for a 10kg bag - so £3.30 a kilo - I sold them on at £3.50 a kilo so we make no money on them - in fact we will lose money because we won't be able to sell the whole sack full price!.. we only do it to keep those customers happy who feel they have to have Jerseys as soon as they appear!

Such clever marketing by them Jersey growers: Jersey Royal sounds so much nicer as a name than the real name of the potato variety - International Kidney!!!!!

We've got some pretty good Majorcan Maris Bards in at the moment - flavour wise they are every bit as good as Jerseys at less than half the price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
I have always liked the new Jersey Royal potatoes when they come into season but this year they have not had the same taste. Has anybody else noticed this?

I got three lots and they all tasted great. I noticed they got a lot cheaper after the initial lot.

I have always liked the new Jersey Royal potatoes when they come into season but this year they have not had the same taste. Has anybody else noticed this?

I bought them regularly from Lidl last year and they were out of this world.

I've bought them this year from Lidl and thought they were very poor taste wise.