Any one know this hotel ?

grinder

It could be the one of Queen Victoria which I belive was moved to Encliffe park. The one in Fitzalan Square was Prince Albert

Yes - the statue of Queen Victoria (which dates from her Golden Jubilee in 1887) was originally positioned facing the Albany Hotel - a photo is here. The statue was moved to Endcliffe Park in 1930.

The statue in Fitzalan Square is actually of King Edward VII; it evidently has the distinction of being the only statue in Sheffield that is still in its original position. photo

The Albany Hotel was a temperance hotel owned by Sheffield Refreshment Houses Ltd., who also had the Lion Café in Nursery Street, the Mulberry Café in Mulberry Street and the Wilberforce Hotel in the Wicker. The Albany Hotel closed in the 1930s and the building began to be used as offices, with the name "Yorkshire Bank Chambers".

Where does the Albany name come from? is it a Duke of Norfolk Title, or a boar war battle, most sheffield places seem to be one or the other

Hmmmm.... I don't know, but Albany is a variation of Albion, the old Celtic name for Britain. Also, "Albany" referred to that part of Scotland north of the River Forth, and at one time the Duke of York's official title was "Duke of York and Albany", thereby combining an English and Scottish title after the Act of Union. All of which seems to have little to do with Sheffield, Maybe they chose the name just because it sounds posh..:)

hi i am sorry but i dont know the hotel as im not from sheffield but on an earlier post you was asking about the Sheffield Equalised Independent Druids i was looking through some sites for information on them as i have got a certificate from them and it was presented with this inscription "this certificate of merit is presented by the officers and members of the Ancholme Lodge No251 of the Sheffield Equalised Independent Druids to Bro William Cross as a token of respect and esteem for the Valuable and energetic sevices rendered in promoting the interest and welfare of the society.

signed by G.Armstrong president A.Kingsley vice president and H.Borman secertary.

i can take a photo of the certificate if you are interested in seeing it the certificate shows the 2 people on it in opposite positions the they are on your banner.

Archived