How long has there been Council Housing in Sheffield?

This is a good thread. I've been trying to get this information for a while. According to websites accessed through Sheffield City Council's site, Wybourn, Arbourthorne, Manor and Manor Park were built in 1930s.

see:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-city-development/regeneration/housing-regeneration/south-sheffield-regeneration/wybourn-

This carries links to some of the other estate urls.

I can confirm that Stradbroke and New Stradbroke (does it still go by that name?) were built in the 50s. Stradbroke was first occupied '51. My family was one of its first residents.

Woodthorpe? Anyone know when that was built? I'm assuming 1930s.

This is a good thread. I've been trying to get this information for a while. According to websites accessed through Sheffield City Council's site. According to it, Wybourn, Arbourthorne, Manor and Manor Park were built in 1930s.

see:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-city-development/regeneration/housing-regeneration/south-sheffield-regeneration/wybourn-

This carries links to some of the other estate urls.

I can confirm that Stradbroke and New Stradbroke were built in the 50s. Stradbroke was first occupied '51. My family was one of its first residents.

Woodthorpe? Anyone know when that was built? I'm assuming 1930s.

the "old" woodthorpe was built at the same time as manor. the "New" woodthorpe was built at the same time as manor Park and hackenthorpe.

Parts of the manor were built at the same time as the older council properties in Firth Park, parts of Southey and Wincobank. (late 20's early 30s) then there was the mass builds of the mid 30s (34/5/6/7) of Arbourthorne, "old" Totley, Greenhill, parts of Southey, most of Shiregreen,lots of Parson Cross, and sections of the Manor. (parts of Wisewood were in the earlier part of that build) Stradbroke, Manor Park, Lowedges, Hackenthorpe, Base Green and the Stubbin at Deepcar were all built to similar designs, at similar times. (parts of lowedges were built to the same design as the older parts of Gleadless Valley.

There's the odd batch of properties here and there around the city that you can see match up with other builds of similar times.

New mosboro' and townships mid 70's as per intake, Darnall, and new Totley and Firs hill.

Mid 60's maisonettes are/ were in Hillsborough (one block) off Wordsworth ave, ( 2 or 3 blocks,demolished i think?) A couple of blocks on Pitsmoor side Shireclifffe.

*pauses for breath*

Mid 60's maisonettes are/ were in Hillsborough (one block) off Wordsworth ave, ( 2 or 3 blocks,demolished i think?) A couple of blocks on Pitsmoor side Shireclifffe.

*pauses for breath*

Also Wynn Gardens estate at Middlewood in the 60s, although not sure about maisonettes there.

Also Wynn Gardens estate at Middlewood in the 60s, although not sure about maisonettes there.

yes, you are right, the maisonettes are the same, internally, as the ones at Pye Bank, Norfolk park, (demolished) and Woodhouse (Demolished) and Gleadless Valley/ heeley. there's also some the same at Tinsley. (and batemoor)

There are also maisonettes at Roscoe Bank that were built in 1964. The ones in Gleadless Valley (top side of Blackstock Road) date from c. 1960.

Yes you are right, Hillsboro, the Stannington maisonettes are also identical to the ones on Pye Bank/ Gleadless Valley, etc. and, yes they were all built pretty much around the same time, 64/66 ish (My uncles maisonette on Sands Close was "of the 64 Vintage :hihi: )

Top side of Blackstock? the ones near the Water Tower?

they are from between about 56/ 58 and 60, yes. (I seem to remember the building started at the Herdings-cum-Water-Tower end of the Valley, and worked its way down Blackstock Road, and back up to Ashleigh School)

My father's family moved off Fawcett Street in Netherthorpe, to the Valley in 57/8, and the "Tall" type maisonettes (As on Ironside road) were just being built. MY father watched the farmer harvest the field between Gaunt Road and the Golf Course/ woods, just as he was preparing to go off to the army, when he returned, the maisonettes were built.

The Lowedges type maisonettes were also built on the top end of the valley (constable/ Blackstock) as well as at Netherthorpe (Powell St/ St Phillips/ Fawcett St areas) there were similar style Maisonettes at the other end of Blackstock rd on ?spotswood? and opposite the Newfield green Shops, and there were loads on Pitsmoor, which are now demolished. (there were about 4 blocks of these maisonettes just by Harborough ave, on Lower Manor, too) There were a number of blocks of these maisonettes in Busk meadow, on the Herries Side of Shirecliffe, but only one block remains, these days, the other(s) demolished to build a "Retirement Complex"

the "old" woodthorpe was built at the same time as manor. the "New" woodthorpe was built at the same time as manor Park and hackenthorpe.

Parts of the manor were built at the same time as the older council properties in Firth Park, parts of Southey and Wincobank. (late 20's early 30s) then there was the mass builds of the mid 30s (34/5/6/7) of Arbourthorne, "old" Totley, Greenhill, parts of Southey, most of Shiregreen,lots of Parson Cross, and sections of the Manor.

You're right, P.T. Just looking at the notes I made from doing a web search and I have down that the Manor contains housing developments from the 20s, 30s and 50s, which fits in with what you're saying. My memory, especially living over here, isn't good enough to be able to distinguish the old from the new Woodthorpe. Hastilar Rd S from the fish ponds going past the pub (forget its name) along Beaumont Rd N. to intersect with Prince of Wales Rd: Would that be old or new Woodthorpe?

(My uncles maisonette on Sands Close was "of the 64 Vintage :hihi: )
It was a good year.:hihi:

Top side of Blackstock? the ones near the Water Tower?
I was meaning the other (Rollestone) end of Blackstock Road, on the upper side of it, i.e. Plowright Mount etc. An old school friend of mine and his parents moved into a new maisonette on Plowright Mount in 1959-60. I remember they loved it there, and my friend still lives in the area.

I might not be as old as your dad, but it's a sobering thought that I remember seeing haymaking done where the Roscoe Bank maisonettes are now...:(

It was a good year.:hihi:

I was meaning the other (Rollestone) end of Blackstock Road, on the upper side of it, i.e. Plowright Mount etc. An old school friend of mine and his parents moved into a new maisonette on Plowright Mount in 1959-60. I remember they loved it there, and my friend still lives in the area.

I might not be as old as your dad, but it's a sobering thought that I remember seeing haymaking done where the Roscoe Bank maisonettes are now...:(

It certainly was a good vintage ;) I variously describe myself as a "64 vintage" and occasionally as being a "C-reg model"

You're right, Plowright was about that time, we are talking about the ones opposite the Newfield Green shops, aren't we, that go down Blacstock road toward the tower houses? (Inside. those maisonettes were same in layout as the Lowedges and Woodside (Andover St/Drive maisonettes) there was just light variation on the exterior. The Mawfa/ Blackstock, and Lowedges ones (as per the Netherthorpe and Manor Park ones) had a french window to the living rooms, pitched rooves, and ceramic tiles to the exterior, where the Plowright and Woodside ones had a slate "shingling", and flat rooves.

Hillsbro, I remember a lot of changes to Sheffield. (You will, obviously remember even more than I , having a couple of years' seniority on me) but it's scary to me that my (step) sons are 31 and 29, and have never known, never seen traffic running, on the moor(!)

I was horror-struck by the realisation the other day, that there were people hitting their thirties who were only just born, as I was leaving school.

Hmmm.... 1964 was B-reg.... I had a Honda 50 with the plate DWB 7B - cost me a fiver in 1968. It was still 3 letters and 3 numbers when I was born...:(

Yes, it was the maisonettes on the left as you go down Blackstock Road - here. Very nice inside, and quite a pleasant area as I remember.

Yes, I suppose I've seen some changes, from the days when you'd get a tram from Hillsborough into town (buses replaced them in 1954) and pass the gaunt bombed-out remains of St Philip's Church, and then see the same in town (Burton's, Marples etc.) Most of the council developments since then have been quite good, except for the awful Park Hill, Kelvin etc, which thankfully have mostly gone.

I was on a bus last week when a girl, aged about 14, smiled sweetly and got up to let me sit down. It was very kind of her, but boy did I feel old....:(

Archived