How long has there been Council Housing in Sheffield?

Hillsboro, just been looking at the aerial shot of the valley. cheers for the link.

I went across to Gaunt, where I grew up till the age of 10. on the close up (bird's eye view), the maisonettes are gone, but if you click to the aerial, they are still there.

I lived in the top floor maisonette of the block that stood across from the end of Gaunt Way.

Hillsboro, just been looking at the aerial shot of the valley. cheers for the link.

I went across to Gaunt, where I grew up till the age of 10. on the close up (bird's eye view), the maisonettes are gone, but if you click to the aerial, they are still there.

I lived in the top floor maisonette of the block that stood across from the end of Gaunt Way.

My Aunt lived close by there at 293 Blackstock (at the end of the longest row of houses), as a result of the slum clearances in Pitsmoor.

In the early days when they moved there, my cousin and I used to go "fishing" for Bullheads in the stream that ran down the valley. What a lovely place it was then.

My Aunt lived close by there at 293 Blackstock (at the end of the longest row of houses), as a result of the slum clearances in Pitsmoor.

In the early days when they moved there, my cousin and I used to go "fishing" for Bullheads in the stream that ran down the valley. What a lovely place it was then.

my pal Janine Batty lived around that number or thereabouts (that block, anyway)

I saw an old school -pals house offered on the sheffield homes site the other day, to be bidded on. made me feel all nostalgic!

I have read somewhere that the houses in Buck Croft were cleared in 1890 and replaced by new housing under the 1890's Housing act.

Whether these were owned by the council I do not know but the act certainly gave the go ahead for the councils to replace some very poor housing some of which had earth floors with no gas, electricity or running water.

The tenants of the houses at Buck Croft had to draw their water from an old mine shaft.

Happy Days!!!!

PopT

Archived