School says no flavoured drinks - water only for children

Children will survive with out juice and will be fine with just water but should they have too?

Its a school. They spend the majority of their day there. There are very few adults that would tolerate the same situation so why is it ok for children? All they want is a drink of juice. Yes it may contain a bit of the evil sugar but I think we are missing reality. Very few children will get hyper from dilute juice. Yes the odd child but a rarity to say the least. I think it is healthier to encourage children to drink more whether that be juice or water but then they cant encourage that as they may need the bog during class time.

A good diet for a child is a healthy balanced diet and a healthy attitude to food. Either end of the spectrum is potentially harmful. To be so dramatic about drinking juice holds its on responsibilities in bad attitudes to foods.

As for people saying that parents should go along with the school rules, why? We live in a country where we vote for or against. We work in positions were employment law protects our rights too. We wouldnt stand for unreasonable expectations but when it comes to our children they should except every rule without thought and question? Thats a very dangerous game in my book. To teach your children to be respectful and disciplined is one thing but to teach them to go along with anything is quite another and undermines their own thoughts and opinions. A school is a learning environment not a prison.

My reasoning is that my daughter will not drink water because she knows what the end results will be. She is not allergic to water itself or we would have problems but it does cause problems. Just to pacify everyone else are you telling me that she should be made to vomit at the dinner table everyday at school? I'm sure I'd be getting an altogether different letter then. It is not a case of not liking it if it were that simple she would have to drink it and have done. I do not see a problem in flavouring the water to take away the metallic taste and as I have said I will continue to flavour her water to avoid her embarrassment and also save the school a lot of cleaning up at lunchtimes.

A good cognitive behavioral therapist could cure her very readily.

My reasoning is that my daughter will not drink water because she knows what the end results will be. She is not allergic to water itself or we would have problems but it does cause problems. Just to pacify everyone else are you telling me that she should be made to vomit at the dinner table everyday at school? I'm sure I'd be getting an altogether different letter then. It is not a case of not liking it if it were that simple she would have to drink it and have done. I do not see a problem in flavouring the water to take away the metallic taste and as I have said I will continue to flavour her water to avoid her embarrassment and also save the school a lot of cleaning up at lunchtimes.

I used to hate turnip, my mum disguised it in potato and i was non the wiser. why dont you put the water in a fruit shoot bottle pretend its juice and see if she drinks it.

I dont remember getting a drink to take to school, you had your school dinner with a water and that was it end off. Everyone got the same and no one fannyied about with pack lunches. There was 2 choices for dinner so you ate it or went hungry, i dont remember any of it causing a problem. Kids are given too much choice these days , Fact.

If your daughter has a medical issue thats a seperate matter but on the whole i agree with the school policy , kids are kids when they are adults they get the right to choose what they want to do and not before.

I used to hate turnip, my mum disguised it in potato and i was non the wiser. why dont you put the water in a fruit shoot bottle pretend its juice and see if she drinks it.

I dont remember getting a drink to take to school, you had your school dinner with a water and that was it end off. Everyone got the same and no one fannyied about with pack lunches. There was 2 choices for dinner so you ate it or went hungry, i dont remember any of it causing a problem. Kids are given too much choice these days , Fact.

If your daughter has a medical issue thats a seperate matter but on the whole i agree with the school policy , kids are kids when they are adults they get the right to choose what they want to do and not before.

Read my earlier post about brussel sprouts. I'm sorry you never cottoned on to the mash trick but my daughter is due to turn 11 in July and is slightly more wise to the world than this and as the taste of water makes her vomit I fail to see how putting it in a different container is going to help. Thanks for your suggestion but seeing as how I have had her for nearly 11 years I think I know what I am talking about and doing.

you have all on remembering your own bull. I dont think you`ve posted the same fact twice yet.

Are you sure. I've stated she can't drink water. I've never stated this is due to the fact she doesn't like it. I have told everyone I have contacted the school and that she will continue to drink her juice without lying or hiding it. I have also posted that I will be supplying medical reports and letters. Which facts are you looking for. Go charge your batteries and read again I think you'll find this was a normal post before you started your ranting.

so it is the taste then ............... see MY earlier post

No dear I was merely saying that when she realises its water by the taste it makes her vomit. Remember that words on a screen can be taken anyway you wish to interpret and seen as you like to pick up every little detail I suggest you become a proof reader and talk about something you know and care about.

I`m just curious, is it really a medical condition?

I mean, the taste of certain things make me puke(ie:cheese pie, fresh tomatoes amongst other things)but its not a medical condition, it just means I don`t like em.

On the other side of the argument I do think its daft that kids arn`t allowed juice, or even flavoured water. The rule has been enforced at my kids school for the last couple of years.

Archived