School says no flavoured drinks - water only for children

Why is everyone giving the op such a hard time? It is not our business to demand precise details of her daughter's condition. If you choose not to believe her, fair enough, but there is no need to keep hassling her.

is it because she came on the forum and told everyone that her child can't drink water but can drink water with flavourings added?

My office has some stupid policies. We have to drink water, tea, coffee, juice etc... The only problem is, if all my drinks are non-alcoholic I start getting the shakes by about 11am. If I've not had an alcoholic drink by midday I start to feel really sick and get angry at everyone. In spite of this, I'm still not allowed to drink alcohol at work. I really hate this nanny state we live in...

Why is everyone giving the op such a hard time? It is not our business to demand precise details of her daughter's condition. If you choose not to believe her, fair enough, but there is no need to keep hassling her.

There should not be any drinks in the classroom. That's what break and lunchtimes are for, and I still think schools are out of order dictating what the children are allowed to drink (or have in their lunchboxes)

Because they are talking borlaks perhaps! You can't have a condition which stops you drinking water unless it's physcological and if it was the school would recognise this if the OP backed up this claim via actions such as doing something about it like taking their child to a GP as a starting point!

Many of the problems in schools today are caused by parents who are prepared to make a fuss about anything that their little darlings don't like. If my child came home with such a note I would just say "drink water then". Mind you, my children haven't been brought up to be fussy, and we wouldn't dream of attacking the views of the school in front of them as this simply undermines discipline.

This is a very good point and one I agree with entirely.

So educating children about healthy food and drink should not be done in schools? Judging from some of the posts from parents on here, it certainly isn't being done at home. So who should be doing it? Or should we just become even more Americanized (sic) and roll over (probably with the aid of some levers and a length of rope) and make obesity socially acceptable?

Somehow, your post takes a rule introduced to benefit the children's health (both mentally in terms of concentration, and physically in terms of organ health and hydration) and turns it into a Big Brother type rule. Does paranoia run in your family?

But that isnt teaching children about healthy food. Thats just saying nothing. If they were teaching children about healthy food they would allow the juice but also encourage water. No schools are allowed fizzy pop at all so they are either going to bring cordial or fruit juices. Are they only going to be allowed to bring a carrot too. After all cheese is full of fat. Thats not teaching anything about nutrition.

How is it not a big brother type rule? Yes there are some parents that feed their children nothing but junk (they annoy me too) but you cant demand that every child dosent have any form of alternative to water because a few kids are fed pepsi when they get home.

There is also the issue that sugar is not the evil poison it is being made out to be. If limited it has its place. Sugar replacements are generally more harmful.

What of the relationship between fruit drinks/juice and tooth decay?

... and the disgraceful rates of tooth decay in Sheffield schoolchildren?

Another good point. As an adult my dentist has condemned me for drinking juice and cordial during the working day as it speeds up the rate of tooth decay. Unless the kiddies are brushing their teeth regularly throughout the school day then sugary drinks will damage the teeth.

Anyhow, I don't see what all the fuss is with water. It's very nice and I grew up just drinking water throughout my time at school.

I think we should go off topic as the original topic is about a silly girl who says she doesn't like water and is now going to add further to the workload of her school as a result.

I am sure you are right that refusing to take part in the first world war takes far more courage than actually taking part. I am an ex-soldier before anyone who hasn't worn a uniform starts making a fuss. I also think that children have to know when some things are completely wrong (perhaps I might suggest schools taking their fingerprints to take books out of the library as an example) and so should be fought, and those that are minor and irrelevant,. such as drinking water rather than their favourite pop.

How dare you make assumptions that my daughter is a silly little girl you ignorant man. if you want to go off topic go elsewhere this is a thread I started for genuine reactions to a needless rule in school. If you want to talk little boy soldiers go elsewhere. :loopy:

If you work in a school you'll see the mess that flavoured drinks can make. As they are allowed to drink in class it means the juice gets everywhere, leaving sticky drink residue on tables, chairs, computers.

At least with water it's not as bad.

I agree with this but the issue isn't drinks in the classroom it is drinks in the dining room at lunchtime.

Archived