School says no flavoured drinks - water only for children

Best post on this thread so far.. :thumbsup:

Sorry, just had to laugh.. Exactly what happened in our house :hihi:

An old remedy, but a reliable one, sarah. A liberal application of an ointment called "thick Ear" is a very good and effective cure! ;)

An old remedy, but a reliable one, sarah. A liberal application of an ointment called "thick Ear" is a very good and effective cure! ;)

So very true, PT, so very true.. :D

Often applied in my household too.. :thumbsup:

Yep thats maybe, but now you would be branded a child abuser. This is something else that powers that be thought would be a good idea to ban.

I am with the op on this though. If its only to be drank in the dining room, as long as its not fizzy, and filled with crap, then it should be ok. It should be the parents choice IMO.

Jayne

Yep thats maybe, but now you would be branded a child abuser. This is something else that powers that be thought would be a good idea to ban.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing though. To hit somebody because they don't like something - what kind of message does this send to a child? I had similar issues as a kid with my parents attempting to force me to eat things I didn't like, and to my way of thinking it didn't achieve anything longterm as these days I wouldn't eat something I didn't like. I think there's a big difference between trying it on and genuinely not liking something, and why shouldn't children be allowed to express a preference/taste for certain things within reason? My son's only two, but I wouldn't make him eat something he honestly did not like. But, on the other hand, if he rejected a meal that he'd happily eaten before just because he wanted something else then his choices would simply be eat what he'd been given or eat nothing. I don't think cracking him one is necessary because going hungry is punishment enough in my opinion. Same rule with drinks. He loves pure fruit juices but on a night he is only allowed water. He might not like it but he'll drink it if there's nothing else on offer.

When I was a kid, I occasionally smuggled soda to school, but to trade, not drink it myself. On the playground, a shiny red can of Coke was better than money. :D

Yep when I was 10/11ish, cans of Red Bull were worth their weight in gold behind the wall at school, people seemed to compare it to cider!

Oops, should have said a 'reasonable' rule. One sock is very unreasonable, and hopping should only happen on sports days. ;)

reasonable is subjective though, so the OP in this case considers a water only rule to be unreasonable.

On a similar note, a lady at work was telling me that her son had his pure orange juice taken off him by a dinner lady when he brought it with his lunch. Even though it was the same brand of juice that the school actually sells to its pupils at breaktimes.

Wheres the common sense?

If any drink except water is banned on healthy eating grounds then so should all unhealthy snacks.

Juice is a portion of your 5 a day. It seems crazy that crisps and chocolate bars can stay while juice cannot.

On a similar note, a lady at work was telling me that her son had his pure orange juice taken off him by a dinner lady when he brought it with his lunch. Even though it was the same brand of juice that the school actually sells to its pupils at breaktimes.

Wheres the common sense?

If any drink except water is banned on healthy eating grounds then so should all unhealthy snacks.

Juice is a portion of your 5 a day. It seems crazy that crisps and chocolate bars can stay while juice cannot.

Just found the original letter it says

"As part of our healthy school plan we would appreciate your cooperatin with lunch boxes. Ideally these should contain a sandwich, 1 packet of crisps, 1 treat, fruit and possibly a healthy yogurt.

Water will be provided for every child at lunchtime and any drinks sent will be saved by staff and given back to your child at the end of lunchtime."

I do not see where crisps and treats fall into the healthy category and as for a yogurt that has been in a warm lunch bag from 8am until 12pm the mind boggles :loopy:

Archived