School says no flavoured drinks - water only for children

i am not the op and i dont know about her child but im showing ppl here that ppl can be allergic, stop twisting my post

calm down duck, I ain`t twisting owt!!:o

I am merely posting (because I for one am getting slightly confused) what the op said, her child wasn`t allergic to water!

how can that be twisting anyones words?

A 'true' allergy to water, ie a histamine reaction on ingesting it would be fatal. You can't live without H2O, it really is as simple as that, and no amount of flavouring it or putting anything else in it would stop the allergic reaction.

The OPs children need to grow up, no one gets sick from drinking water unless you're in India as a tourist.

The school however is being rather authoritarian and needs a swift kick up the jacksy. It's a school, not a boot camp.

That's my opinion on the whole issue.

A 'true' allergy to water, ie a histamine reaction on ingesting it would be fatal. You can't live without H2O, it really is as simple as that, and no amount of flavouring it or putting anything else in it would stop the allergic reaction.

The OPs children need to grow up, no one gets sick from drinking water unless you're in India as a tourist.

The school however is being rather authoritarian and needs a swift kick up the jacksy. It's a school, not a boot camp.

That's my opinion on the whole issue.

Well thank you for your opinion nice to know you think the school are out of line. :thumbsup:

But do yourself a favour and keep your comments to yourself about my children. I have two beautiful children and one is very upset at the moment about all of this so back off lets remember she is only 10 years old. If you must have a go at anyone have a go at me. After you have looked at yourself obviously. :mad:

This has been an interesting read to say the least!

I can see both 'sides' of the argument, but my own thoughts about the matter are as follows...

It seems to me that the 'medical condition' suddenly arose halfway in this thread, and not in the original OP. Surely if a child has a medical condition that means she cannot drink water, it would have been the first thing to mention when initially starting this thread?

There is no way a school can stop a child going home for lunch. I've been though this with my childrens school, and the main reason that you have to submit written consent for them to leave the premises is stop them congregating around the local chippy etc..

As someone else mentioned, I find the OPs manner aggressive and to be one that is unable to debate without bordering on being abusive to people.

The school seems to have got it's priorities wrong - how can they ban fruit juice but allow crisps..? That really doesn't make sense.

And finally, what happened today when you sent your daughter with fruit juice?!

Sorry the medical condition didn't come into for me I was just annoyed at the time of posting about the way in which the whole thing had been handled at school. My daughter does have medical problems and these have been raised with the school. I didn't want this to turn in to a post for "children with disabilities being discriminated against at school". But more of a loony policy which I think it is for any child whether they have problems or not and wanted to know if this was being experienced elsewhere in the city as this is what the school told me when I enquired that every school in sheffield now has the same policies in place.

I may appear to have come across aggressive to some but please read back through the posts I have only given short shrift to the people who were being rude and offensive towards my daughter when they have never actually met her.

Many thanks for posting your feelings about the school policies this has helped and also thanks for adding the bit about being able to take your children out of school. This is something that I shall be raising with them tomorrow.

In answer to your question about what happened today - the learning mentor went around the dinner hall and checked everyones drinks (as yesterday) when she got to my daughter she said "oh I know about you and its being dealt with".

Thats a ridiculous policy. Not even slightly understandable. I refuse point blank to drink water on its own, always have done, instead choosing low sugar dilute or natural fresh juice. I'd be lost if someone told me I could only drink water so I sympathise with your daughter fully.
I think you might have a psychological problem if you don't drink water at all.

Aquagenic urticaria, also known as water urticaria and aquagenous urticaria, is an extremely rare form of physical urticaria. It is sometimes described as an allergy, although it is not a histamine releasing allergic reaction like other forms of urticaria; it is more a hypersensitivity to the ions found in non-distilled water. In affected persons, water on the skin causes hives to appear within 15 minutes and last for up to two hours
Extremely rare indeed, with an incidence of less than 1 per 61,000,000 for the UK.

I still remember my first day at a new junior school, being 9 and getting sent with a packet of iced gems (its my name and my mum was trying to make me less nervous) to have them confiscated and to get told off when the staff thought I was being some sort of martyr. Needless to say, not a happy bunny and bad first day at new school.

I don't actually see the point, because as soon as you get to high school unless its adjoining jamie olivers garden the same old greasy tasteless calorie-infested tat is still the popular offering and there are no healthy/cheap alternatives.

Archived