School says no flavoured drinks - water only for children

brita filters or generic filters are not that dear these days, and the charcoal thing does filter out the impurities. However, for taste, I don't think there's water anywhere which tastes as nice as Sheffield water, even before it is filtered.

You want to try the water around wisewood. Even boiled that stuff is yuck. :gag:

I'm quite surprised schools even allowed other drinks in in the first place. When we were in primary school (mid-late 80s), we got one drink of water at lunchtime and that was it. I didn't like the taste that much either, but I still drank it. Funnily enough, no-one died from dehydration or complained about our human rights. We couldn't take crisps either, although this was because they caused a mess rather than for obesity reasons.

Kids these days don't know they're born etc etc. :rolleyes:

I put this question on a governor's website which, predictably, generated for and against (the water only rule) responses.

However, someone also raised the question of whether a school can legally confiscate drinks, and indeed food from a child's lunchbox.

If enough parents get together and protest formally to DCSF we may see common sense prevail.

It is not just about water versus other drinks, it's the whole argument about schools taking rights away from parents without a very good reason. Every new right that schools aka government claim over parents is another step to totalitarian control.

Over the top? Well perhaps, but those of you who are young enough may have to look back in twenty or thirty years time and say 'I wish we hadn't let them do that'

I put this question on a governor's website which, predictably, generated for and against (the water only rule) responses.

However, someone also raised the question of whether a school can legally confiscate drinks, and indeed food from a child's lunchbox.

If enough parents get together and protest formally to DCSF we may see common sense prevail.

It is not just about water versus other drinks, it's the whole argument about schools taking rights away from parents without a very good reason. Every new right that schools aka government claim over parents is another step to totalitarian control.

Over the top? Well perhaps, but those of you who are young enough may have to look back in twenty or thirty years time and say 'I wish we hadn't let them do that'

EXACTLY! The more that we let the schools and government take over the parenting of our children and let them dictate how they should think / eat / dress without us being able to do anything, then one day we're going to look back and say, I wish I'd stood up, I wish I'd been counted.

On a seperate, but unrelated note, my 13 year old sister was told once by a teacher that there was "no point in trying to think for yourself anymore" because "it wont get you anywhere" and "it's not what employers want"

Are our lives now dictated by what jobs we're going to have in the future. What's going to happen to individuality and individual thought?

You'll not be asking that when the great depression of 2009 - kicks in following whats likely to be a pigs ear of a budget and it's all we can afford to drink.

Good tap water and bottled water do not taste of anything at all thus to not like it is phycological and perhaps if you used to have brown water coming out of your taps it is understandable but that sounds a bit extreme! Did you live in Africa?

I can tell you dont do the pot washing in your house or run your own bath. More then a few times have I seen brown water coming out of the taps.

I seem to find that they are, especially when compared to supermarkets, especially for meat. Then again, I live in Crookes, and we have just natural, which is amazing, but expensive, and a butchers, which again, isn't cheap, and I just prefer the markets for that stuff.

Maybe I'm just a little old fashioned, but you can't beat the fish off the market either compared to the stuff you get in Supermarkets like Morrisons and Asda (they're the 2 I use, don't like the big Tesco or Sainsburys) :thumbsup:

I think more people will become old fashioned. A lot of good can come out of this recession unless you're an unlucky bugger who gets made bankrupt and even then be it in another 8 or so years you'll learn from your mistakes and get your arse sorted... I used to use the markets but did not actually register how close to west bar they were (since moving jobs) and the penny has only recently dropped so as of this week the Markets are back on! If I can get all the veg in my garden growing it could be a cheap few months on the food front!

Sorry guys - will get back on topic.

Water only in Schools, um, yes, during class, but other than that I'd just ban soda, cans and glass, and ban opening drinks anywhere other than the canteen and designated play areas during breaks and lunch. Not a hard thing to police...

im caught between a rock and a hard place im afraid here because my son has educational difficulties and the school do give him amazing support far better than any other school would/could and hes 9 now so very setteled so moving him is a no no as far as im concernd. and most of the other schools are doing this aswell anyway.

out of curiosity what course of action would you take to resolve this?

Er complain and complain in writing untill something has been done. No way would I accept that they demanded what I put in my child's lunch box but then sold them what they wanted. Absolutely disgusting.

I can tell you dont do the pot washing in your house or run your own bath. More then a few times have I seen brown water coming out of the taps.

Avin a laugh! I have a good domesticated wife, but I'm also so. She does 95% of the clothes washing but I do about 60% of the pot washing, all the breakfast and about 40% of cooking our teas (mostly cook that together). Have most of the baths, 2 or 3 a week on average and run at least 85% of these myself. I've not seen brown water for a good 20 years and that was back at my Mums house maybe twice other than after water maintenance (about 3 times in my life!)....

Archived