School says no flavoured drinks - water only for children

And I'll join you:-Thqueeem and thqueem until I'm sick if I don't get an Aston Martin, because i have a medical condition that means I can't use the train ;)

I had a "medical" condition that meant I could not eat cabbage. I'd be sick if I ate it well, tell a lie, I threatened to be sick if I ate it... My mum cured it:- I got a dose of thick ear from her.

Cabbage goes down well on the menu these days.

Dosent mean its acceptable though. There is a difference between a child trying it on for something else and genuinely not liking something. My children must eat what they are given but I accommodate for the one or two things they don't like. They do not get anything else if they are trying it on but a thick ear is certainly not acceptable. I received the same sort of treatment and would certainly not condone it for my children. Where do you draw the line? Do they get a "dose of the thick ear" if they disagree with you?

Yes I understand that some people think there are times when a smack is appropriate but it certainly isn't something to gloat about.

Every new right that schools aka government claim over parents is another step to totalitarian control.

Over the top? Well perhaps, but those of you who are young enough may have to look back in twenty or thirty years time and say 'I wish we hadn't let them do that'

The government is trying to achieve total control by banning drinks other than water in schools?

OTT?

I think so. Get a grip.

When we were in primary school (mid-late 80s), we got one drink of water at lunchtime and that was it.

A drink of water?! A drink of water would have been like the sweetest pop to us. All we got was a glass of the headmaster's urine, and a lump of coal at lunch time and at the end of the day our teacher would impale us all on a giant paper spike.

A drink of water?! A drink of water would have been like the sweetest pop to us. All we got was a glass of the headmaster's urine, and a lump of coal at lunch time and at the end of the day our teacher would impale us all on a giant paper spike.

Luck you......I would have killed to be impaled!

EXACTLY! The more that we let the schools and government take over the parenting of our children and let them dictate how they should think / eat / dress without us being able to do anything, then one day we're going to look back and say, I wish I'd stood up, I wish I'd been counted.

On a seperate, but unrelated note, my 13 year old sister was told once by a teacher that there was "no point in trying to think for yourself anymore" because "it wont get you anywhere" and "it's not what employers want"

Are our lives now dictated by what jobs we're going to have in the future. What's going to happen to individuality and individual thought?

To be fair, for some children this is the only guidance and discipline they will get as their parents can't be bothered.

Also, the school has to dictate how they dress while they are there - it's called a uniform.

To be fair, for some children this is the only guidance and discipline they will get as their parents can't be bothered.

Also, the school has to dictate how they dress while they are there - it's called a uniform.

Yeah, don't think I worded myself very well there. It was a flashback to my own schooldays and being told that I "crossed the line between non -uniform and fancy dress" on non uniform day. I knew what I meant, which is a change, I usually have no idea. :hihi:

I think there's a middle ground. Schools can be a guiding and supporting influence without being as authoritarian as they are. Blanket bans don't solve anything, especially if little johnnie and Jane are just going to go home to the chocolate / crisps / pop diet anyway. Depriving them at school isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Yeah, don't think I worded myself very well there. It was a flashback to my own schooldays and being told that I "crossed the line between non -uniform and fancy dress" on non uniform day. I knew what I meant, which is a change, I usually have no idea. :hihi:

I think there's a middle ground. Schools can be a guiding and supporting influence without being as authoritarian as they are. Blanket bans don't solve anything, especially if little johnnie and Jane are just going to go home to the chocolate / crisps / pop diet anyway. Depriving them at school isn't going to make that much of a difference.

I agree, but you also have to look at the "give them an inch..." etc. theory.

We know what kids are like and, maybe in the role of Devil's advocate, it is tough for schools nowadays. If they discipline a child in anyway, the parents are in uproar about their human rights etc.

I'm not really sticking up for the schools as such because I hated secondary school. But when I was there they still had some authority over the pupils. Now, teachers are scared of what will happen due to the knife culture and the aggressive nature of how kids are these days - especially teenagers.

Depriving them of what? The food they're used to, or the food that is good for them?

Surely if they are going home to a chocolate, crisp and pop diet at home, there is even more reason for them to be eating healthily at school?

Archived