School says no flavoured drinks - water only for children

Hi my child attends the same school i believe. I agree that kids should'nt be havin fizzy or energy drinks for school but as for pure,cordial or flavoured water i can't really see what the issue is. By the way my child will drink & does drink plenty of water. The staff have been pouring the contents into beakers & smelling to see wether it is flavoured water :loopy: whats all that about?

Hi my child attends the same school i believe. I agree that kids should'nt be havin fizzy or energy drinks for school but as for pure,cordial or flavoured water i can't really see what the issue is. By the way my child will drink & does drink plenty of water. The staff have been pouring the contents into beakers & smelling to see wether it is flavoured water :loopy: whats all that about?

Yeh I know my daughter told me that as well. She got away with it as she had drunk hers but both of her friends got told off for having juice. If it is the same school which it probably is its bananas. Just going from bad to worse. Spoke to Learning Mentor and she told me "well its policy at Norfolk". We're not bothered we're not Norfolk and don't want to be thanks. I'll be sending her tomorrow with the juice she will drink. Let them dare take it off her :suspect:

I wonder if the 'water only' rule will be imposed on the teaching staff too? :suspect:

Not a chance. I asked that and was given the answer "well I will". What she meant was probably not no but that doesn't matter. Does my head in.

Is it possible for you to bring your child home for dinner and then you can give whatever drinks you like? It's probably what I'd do if I disagreed with the food/drink on offer within the school - if it was an option obviously.

The problem is the teachers dont practice what they preach I sent a birthday cake one it was sent back as they said they are now practicing healthy eating lol yet the cake was half eaten and when i called to see why they said the teachers had some I hit the roof

Is it possible for you to bring your child home for dinner and then you can give whatever drinks you like? It's probably what I'd do if I disagreed with the food/drink on offer within the school - if it was an option obviously.

No thats something else we are not allowed to do.

You know what makes me laugh?

People complain about the decline of education and the lack of discipline in schools these days. It's got very little to do with the teachers - is the best way to teach your children to listen to the rules at school really to say you think they're rubbish, here's a way to cheat the system, or tell them to just ignore it?

Particularly around the ages of 7-11 when they're developing a sense of boundaries in the wider world.

I actually made a point a while ago here about what causes the problems in discipline at schools, and I think one of the major problems is a growing group mentality that parents can over-rule the school. Maybe technically you can, and there are times when the school is actually in the wrong, but in most cases, you should be backing up the school, not working against it.

I'd understand if they'd brought in a rule which actually made a difference, but to kick up such a fuss about being told to only drink water, when there's millions of children dying from lack of clean drinking water is a poor example to set, I would say.

All im saying that when it comes to someone else telling others what they can or cannot drink I draw the line with that I told the head master that too and said either accept it or not thats how it is .

I don't see how the school can specify what a child drinks. Particularly seeing as you are giving her no sugar juice (as I do with my daughter). I would be incensed if the school tried to dictate to us in that way.

Archived