Hattersly's Travels

Texas

In Roy Hattersly's book on growing up at Wadsley Bridge (I've forgotten the title), he mentions travelling by tram towards town via Penistone Road. He states that he could see Hillsborough Barracks from, where I assume would be Bradfield Road. He would've been upstairs of course. It's been so long since I've been in Sheffield I've forgotton. Anybody think it's true? Can you see the old barracks from there?

He would see the bottom end of the barracks which ran alongside Penistone road.

He would be able to see over the wall and look on the old married quarters which would have been occupied by families when he was a lad.

I had a school friend who lived there and I would always look to see if I could see him from the top of the tram.

Hope this helps to restart your memory. PopT

He would see the bottom end of the barracks which ran alongside Penistone road.

He would be able to see over the wall and look on the old married quarters which would have been occupied by families when he was a lad.

I had a school friend who lived there and I would always look to see if I could see him from the top of the tram.

Hope this helps to restart your memory. PopT

I seem to remember these were 2 storey flats, lots of ironwork on them, pillars and such. We knew 'em in the '60s as Burdalls flats 'cos of the gravy salt place in the old barracks

Yes Nimrod, I also remember the ironwork on the staircases and landings. I may be wrong but as far as I recall it was the officers' quarters that were two-storey, the main building being taller than this. The larger building always struck me as being something of a "warren", and we knew the complex as "Burdall's Buildings"; they must have been demolished around 1970. A bit of googling brought this old identity card with the address given as "24 Flat, Burdalls Buildings".

Archived