Richmond Park

Hi,

As a member of the Friends of Richmond Park, i am researching the history and personal recollections of Richmond Park.

If anyone has any stories or photographs these would be much appreciated, and help us build a picture of the history of the park and surrounding area.

Many thanks

Babsy :)

Mid to late 50s. A large park, well maintained with tennis courts and a pavilion in it. To get to and from the Rex cinema, we used to cross the park on the walking path that bissected it. Even alone late at night in the dark I felt quite safe. Guess things are different now.

One historical fact that will be of no interest whatsoever to you but rings a bell with me. On one of the park benches at the Richmond end of the park - that's where I had my first snog. I was 14. Or was it 13? :love:

What is left of it? Does it still occupy the same area as it used to? I think there might even have been a cricket pitch and bowling green back then, but not sure abt that. But why would council allow such a great facility as that to get run down? Probably a rhetorical question. Good luck with your efforts to save it. I'm spending some time in Sheffield this Aug so I'll take a walk through it. Or would I be safe?

It occupies the same area and the bowling green and pavilion are still there but behind high fences, the cricket pitch has been converted into a poor wetland, cant understand why that was done, it is safe to walk through (maybe not late at night as there is no lighting), dillm is overstating the situation it can be busy when the kids are going too and from school and it is popular with dog owners. there is acopy of the masterplan to improve the park at forp.rluk.net in the gallery

I lived on Richmond hill Road from 1945 till 1966 when I got married and my best friend lived in the caretakers house. I can remember when I wanted the toilet and 1 of my brothers was in the bathroom running down the hill to use the one in the park. at one time in the early 60s there was an ice cream kiosk and a couple of swings which were still there in the early 70s, when I used to take my daughters after visiting my Mum.My Mum lived there from 1935 and my brother from 1939 I am sure when he is better he will contribute to this thread but at the moment he is still in hospital recovering from heart surgery( to the jazz fans he is puffin 4 who would also be contributing there also.) Another thing I remember is the gas lamp at the Normington Hill end that used to be lit each night and snuffed out each morning. I have some very happy memories of those days in the park my first snog was also there very risky as I was so near home and if I was late my Dad used to come looking for me. My Dad used to play cricket there and there was a pavilion down towards Normington Springs as well as the new one that was built along with the bowling green and tennis courts. I have lots of photos and will look them out when I have time. I would love to see the park brought back into a safe fun place like it used to be when I was a kid.

I lived on Richmond hill Road from 1945 till 1966 when I got married and my best friend lived in the caretakers house. I

Silly, if you lived on Richmond Hill Rd, did you know Jacqueline Youd? She lived around the corner from you, on the street that connects the bottom of your road with Woodthorpe Shopping Centre. I forget the name of the road.

i used to live on the lower manor when my eldest son was young.I can remember taking him to play in richmond park.There were a couple of swings and and a couple of tennis courts We used to play golf the clubs could be hired from the park hut.The last time i was in it was about 5 years ago i took my grandaughter who lives on the woodthorpe to have a play on the swings it was so run down you couldnt really call it a park i was really surprised

I lived on Richmond hill Road from 1945 till 1966 when I got married and my best friend lived in the caretakers house. I can remember when I wanted the toilet and 1 of my brothers was in the bathroom running down the hill to use the one in the park. at one time in the early 60s there was an ice cream kiosk and a couple of swings which were still there in the early 70s, when I used to take my daughters after visiting my Mum.My Mum lived there from 1935 and my brother from 1939 I am sure when he is better he will contribute to this thread but at the moment he is still in hospital recovering from heart surgery( to the jazz fans he is puffin 4 who would also be contributing there also.) Another thing I remember is the gas lamp at the Normington Hill end that used to be lit each night and snuffed out each morning. I have some very happy memories of those days in the park my first snog was also there very risky as I was so near home and if I was late my Dad used to come looking for me. My Dad used to play cricket there and there was a pavilion down towards Normington Springs as well as the new one that was built along with the bowling green and tennis courts. I have lots of photos and will look them out when I have time. I would love to see the park brought back into a safe fun place like it used to be when I was a kid.

Hi SILLY thanks for the response. i am glad that you have good memories of the park (it does seem to have been popular for first kisses). The park you remember seems a world away from what the park is now.

If you do have any photos that we could copy and use we would be grateful.

I hope you brother is recovering well.

Thanks again for the response

Archived