Richmond Park

I lived on Richmond hill Road from 1945 till 1966 when I got married and my best friend lived in the caretakers house. I

Silly, if you lived on Richmond Hill Rd, did you know Jacqueline Youd? She lived around the corner from you, on the street that connects the bottom of your road with Woodthorpe Shopping Centre. I forget the name of the road.

Hi rogG yes I remember Jacqueline Youd she lived on Hastilar Road South in those days we seemed to know everybody as we all went around together and played out till it went dark. Definitely the good old days today's kids have to many worries I can always remember Mum and Dad saying come in when the street lights come on and as long as we did everything was OK.

Hi rogG yes I remember Jacqueline Youd she lived on Hastilar Road South in those days we seemed to know everybody as we all went around together and played out till it went dark. Definitely the good old days today's kids have to many worries I can always remember Mum and Dad saying come in when the street lights come on and as long as we did everything was OK.

She was the girl I had my first snog with...see earlier post. Know what happened to her?

Simpler times, Silly. I read the on line Sheffield Star each day and can't believe that's the city I grew up in. I'll be cautious when I come over to visit this summer. But, this is off the topic of Richmond Park. Relevance to RP is that we each had our first snog = neck = kiss there. The pavilion was also a favorite spot for courting couples. I know of what I speak. Cheers. :hihi:

I had a walk through the park yesterday evening. I walked down Richmond Hill Rd watching the sunset, such a pleasant view it is being towards the top of a hill.

Passing the park keepers house a couple of lads cycled past me on bmx's, I navigated the car barrier adjacent to the brick urinals, not bothering to enter presuming them locked, onto the bowling greens, hut*, tennis courts and swing standings, following the path on I sat on a bench looking towards city school which now has a windmill/turbine, had quick smoke , and walked across the park to catch a bus into town.

i played cricket in richmond park it was in decent condition about 1964 team called attercliffe friends i think.also played lots of football not bad pitches.ones went to watch denaby main play a junior cup match must have been against sheffield side about 500 spectators.

Chem1st

thanks for the reply

Did you enjoy your walk through the park? can you think of any improvements that would make the park more enjoyable/ useful.

kenny.gray

thank you for the reply glad you have some good memories of the park, the cricket pitch on the lower part of the park was converted in to a bog!! such a waste. do you have any more details about either of the events you mentioned as this is an interesting piece of the parks history i would be interested to see any photos of the park if you have them

do not have any photos i think the green un newspaper archives should have photos as i am sure there were photos of the denaby game in the paper.the park i think had tennis courts near the cricket pitch.also a team i think named birley amatuers who derek dooley had connections with played in richmond park.a guy called brian bradley knows a lot about local non league football.

I remember a bowling green and a small kiosk selling soft drinks, sweets etc. run by , I think , people called Vipond. I visited Sheffield last year and took a bus ride to that area and couldn't believe how much it had changed.

As recorded by my sister Silly, I was in Papworth Hospital for heart surgery for two months but came home yesterday.

Like all of you, I have fond memories of Richmond Park, where I used to play as a child during the war (1939-45). It wasn't much more than a field then and about two thirds of it had been turned into corn fields by the war ag, I remember watching the reaping and threshing with a traction engine; all very exciting. I lived on Richmond Hill Road, actually I was born there in 1939 but moved away to join the RAF in 1959.

Will contribute more at a later date but still feel a bit grim at the moment.

Mike

Archived