Richmond Park

I am very interested in the early development of motorways and roads in the local area and fairly sure that richmond park came about originally, because the city corporation in the early-mid 20th century was very keen to reserve land that could later be used as expressways.

the earliest plans for the M1 was that it would not go around the top of sheffield on a big circle, as it does now, but go straight on to doncaster over what is now the M18 alignment.

For this reason, bands of land between (M1 junction 30 and 31) and park square were reserved. For the original sheffield parkway. This includes most of the land which is now mosborough parkway and the west section of the current parkway.

J31 Aston and J30 were originally the only Sheffield exits of the M1 motorway, in case I hadn't made that clear, until the lobby from leeds got the plans changed..

It is clear from building lines alongside A roads, that there were many places where building was forbidden, for expressways and link roads. You can today see evidence of several downgraded road schemes in sheffield where there was originally room for a fast dual carriageway roads between areas of housing. Indeed the current Sheffield parkway was reserved land decades before it was constructed. With housing kept well back.

Hi Barbara,

No, I am afraid I do not know Doug Little but I would be interested to see some of his work. As an old age pensioner, I doubt whether I would be able to afford to buy any. Has he produced a catalogue?

I had a look at the Friends website and felt obliged to join although it is doubtful whether I will ever visit again. I was born in the front bedroom of 15, Richmond Hill Road in June 1939 and pretty well grew up in the park. Hence my strong affinity with it.

You mention the junction of Richmond Road and Normanton Hill - could not be- surely you mean Woodhouse Road? I cannot remember a time when the garage was not at that junction but the houses opposite were certainly not there. It was just a high bank of brown sandstone with scrubby gorse bushes etc above.

Regards,

Mike

Was that garage called Richmond Rd Service Station owned by a chap called George Sherwood.

The Friends of Richmond Park are pleased to announce that with funding from KIDS CAN DO, Free Football Coaching for kids U16 (U8 most be accompanied by an adult )provided by Sheffield Wednesday Coaches will restart on Saturday 1st September (10-30 till 12noon) and will continue until November.

Meet at the Pavilion at the Hastillar Road South entrance

for further details see our website http://www.forp.me

• 1 year later...
Was that garage called Richmond Rd Service Station owned by a chap called George Sherwood.

Sorry not to have got back to you as it is a year since you posed this question.

I fancy that the garage was known as Sherwood's but I left Sheffield in 1959 at the age of 20. My only mode of transport was a Lambretta so I had little use for garage services in those days.

Mike

Archived