Coble stones found on Newhall Road.

Hiya guys, at the Attercliffe side of the steel bridge over the river Don on Newhall road is where there used to be a pub "now demolished", can anyone please tell us the name of the pub? Joined on to the pub was a cutlery factory, which we are now converting into office space, can anyone please tell us what the cutlery firm was called? Whilst converting the pub area into a carpark we have uncovered a larger than expected cobled road, i.e. large sandstone blocks and even upturned stone door lintels used in the road. We think the road could have been produced from stone of a old building, can anyone please tell us any history about this area next to the bridge? In wish full thinking, one of our guys said the stone could be from Sheffield Castle. Any help on this would be brilliant, "intrigued" many thanks, Pomyjohn.

The pub was called THE LODGE the firm was called Monogram,my late wife lived in a house directly across from the firm it was Liverpool St,I met my wife in 1955 got wed 1957, the pub was my father in laws local hope it helps you out

• 10 years later...

cliffelad and hutch are 100% correct

Whist I cannot remember the name of the pub on Newhall Road, near the corner with Liverpool Street, certainly, the cutlery manufacturers was I.S.Dearden  and Sons Ltd/Monogram Cutlery Company Limited

Owned by Isaac Samual Dearden and run by him and his son Dennis Dearden -closed down I think by the mid-1970s. I l called in there to see Mr Isaac in 1975, and a friend of mine who worked there told me a few years later of the closure

I was a manager there, working closely with Mr Isaac  from early 1964 to the end of September 1968 - I then I moved to a company in Driffield in East Yorkshire (near Bridlington), then at the start of 2007 I moved to Malaysia 

I would be very interested to hear of cliffelads sister's name and the department she worked in, to see if I can remember her from all those years ago

Best Wishes from Malaysia - Victor Marshall Hutchinson (ex Swallownest) - 11-05am and 104.2 degrees - normal here all year round - Malaysia is 7 hours ahead of the UK

2 minutes ago, beezerboy said:

The industrial building opposite the pub was a Hadfield's machine shop making large rolls for paper mills in the 70's. on the Don to the left of the bridge was a slalom course for kayaks