Using "Sheffield" in your business name

I don't think you'll have a problem with the word 'Sheffield', especially if it is just going to be used for your website.

The only time you MAY need to gain permission is if it was the name of a registered company. There are some regulations which have a list of all the words which need special permission and these are usually words like 'royal' or 'international'.

Hope this helps a bit more.

• 3 years later...

Sheffield is a registered trade mark and anybody who uses the name for business purposes has to have permisssion from the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry.

This covers all buisiness types, self-employed, partneships, limited companies and PLCs. It soes not matter what the line of business is and the trademark does not just apply to steel companies. However as far as I understand the trade mark is doe's not cover domain names.

For someone to use the trade mark 'Sheffield' the business must have offices located in the City of Sheffield and have the permission of the 'Secretary of State for Trade and Industry' to use the name. If you don't have permission then you are trading illegally as you are infringing the trade mark and legal action will be taken against you.

If you have a legitimate business and want to use the name then you should have no problem getting the permission.

With the amount of interest in copyright theft that is happening at the moment I would reccomend anyone using the trade mark to make sure they have permission or to apply for permission to use the name.

dont panic...

sounds painful but its not, i set a business up with the name sheffield in and it was no hassle... we named the company first, paid for signage, stationary, bank accounts etc then found out we had an issue

you have to apply for approval but as long as you can prove that its a business in sheffield and the its relevent then you will ave no problem.

You cant have a business called sheffield Blah blah etc if the business is based in another town and is unrelated to sheffield from what i understood

<...>

However as far as I understand the trade mark is doe's not cover domain names.

<...>

Good summary post for lay people, but in relation specifically to the portion I have highlighted, registered trade marks (especially word marks) are highly relevant to domain names as well.

E.g. they are the easiest/best 'weapon' to use in domain name dispute resolutions (Nominet, ICANN, etc.)

It's a good question. Personally I can't see as it matters what you call your business so long as it doesn't exactly copy someone elses business name. But unfortunately the Master Cutlers of Sheffield have gained the "Right" to the name "Sheffield". Therefore, if you want to add "Sheffield" to your business name you must seek the permission of the Master Cutlers at Cutlers Hall, Church Street, Sheffield.

I wanted to add "Gleadless Valley" to my new business name, but to save any arguements over the rights and wrongs of doing so I've settled for simply adding the initials G V. I've decided (in my business name) the initials don't stand for Gleadless Valley, they stand for...... Ah well, I'll let you guess.

Archived