Anyone been to Cyprus?

Hey everyone just come back from cyprus!

It was a great holiday, all inclusive food and booze, couldnt complain!, Great Weather! Lovely beach and pool.

Had a great day at my friends wedding, a traditional cypriot wedding, was quite interesting, i couldnt understand a word but it was something different. She had the most beautiful wedding dress ive ever seen, i was so jealous, she looked gorgeous. Her family made us so welocme into her home where they cooked fabulous cypriot food. (think i put on a few pounds but hey its a holiday!)

Something ive noticed about cypriot men in their cars driving about, they beep their horn at u when your walkin along the street and some even stop by u and say things i wouldnt even dream of sayin to another person of the opposite sex! It was ok on the first day but got rather annoying afterwards.

Clubs are great in limmasol the ones we went to. drinks are reasonably priced, a great laugh though on those kareoke nights in the bars. Some nice fit barmen too :heyhey:

All in all a great holiday we had and maybe would return again in the future! I would recommend going all inclusive as the food and drink can be pretty pricey. :thumbsup:

• 6 years later...

I'm off to Northern Cyprus & I'm staying in Kyrenia. What is there to see & do? Is it expensive? I've been told you have to pay to go on the beaches & if so, how much? What are the local buses like & how much spending money will I need to take?

Thanks

Sorry for all the questions

I'm off to Northern Cyprus & I'm staying in Kyrenia. What is there to see & do? Is it expensive? I've been told you have to pay to go on the beaches & if so, how much? What are the local buses like & how much spending money will I need to take?

Thanks

Sorry for all the questions

Apart from having no power, aircon or water I'm sure you will have a fantastic time...

They had a big explosion this morning that shut off the largest of the three power stations on the island - currently there is massive power rationing, no water, and hence no aircon and all the other stuff. you may want to check with your tour operator to see if you are affected...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14102253

Apart from having no power, aircon or water I'm sure you will have a fantastic time...

They had a big explosion this morning that shut off the largest of the three power stations on the island - currently there is massive power rationing, no water, and hence no aircon and all the other stuff. you may want to check with your tour operator to see if you are affected...

That's in southern Cyprus though. Seeing as the north and south is divided into virtually 2 separate countries, I'd be surprised if it affected northern Cyprus too much.

That's in southern Cyprus though. Seeing as the north and south is divided into virtually 2 separate countries, I'd be surprised if it affected northern Cyprus too much.

There are only three power stations in Cyprus for the entire island. They generate power which is sent to the occipied part and are unable to collect monies for them at times - I can guess who is going to be cut off from rationed power first! As to what generation the Turkish side have I'm unsure.

I went last November and did a week of diving near Kyrenia. It's an odd country, we were in the Turkish part and there are some interesting old ruined castles, and nice diving, but the beaches could be a bit hit and miss and some parts of the city and surrounding area looked like 3rd world countries.

I've never been chased by dogs before when going for a run for example!

I used to live in Cyprus and visited the Turkish side - have fond memories of castles and beaches etc...not so much of smelly water out of the taps but it was about 15 years ago! Would love to go back but if i were to go to the Greek side, feel i would be disappointed because of the mass development that i've heard about.

that's a massive story, for Cyprus. As stated check with the tour operator.

I've never been there but there could a problem in that is Cyprus is not poor and this is a bit of a double-edged sword in this instance. In really poor developing countries, hotels will nomally have their own generators in the event of power cuts, which are the norm.

I would imagine this won't be not be the norm in Cyprus anywhere near as much. Nobody was expecting a massive proportion of the islands' power generation to get wasted like that. They'll be trying to get emergency generation sorted, but it may be a bit of a battle for them. The United Nations sure isn't popular in Cyprus at the moment.

Archived