Anyone know and local gluten free fish and chip shops near sheffield?

rachelred

The good thing about green steps is that they only use gluten free batter.

Most other fish and chips shops will do gluten free one day of the month and even then it's pre-order.

I think the Fat Cat does gluten free food - ok not just fish and chips but just so you know. La Tasca and Las Iguanas have GF marked on the menu

HTH

• 3 months later...

CodFellas in Chesterfield does Gluten and wheat free fish and chips every Monday, (all battered foods are Gluten Free), we have a separate pan for gluten free days. It is very popular every Monday.

We fry in Dripping for more traditional taste, we only use "Fresh Fish" and fresh potatoes.

You can visit us at CodFellas Fish Bar, 77 nowbold road, Chesterfield, S41 7PY 01246 235 615.

I went to Green Steps recently and enjoyed it.

To be fair I eat Gluten for fun, I just thought their attention to detail may carry over to general quality and it seemed the case when I went. The sustainable fish policy also attracted me and end result was a big piece of fish for smaller sized Cod money. I didn't notice much of a difference and what I did didn't detract from it over traditional Cod or Haddock. Will be going again, I get the impression it will be consistent.

• 3 months later...

:help:

Hello all! I have been twice to Green Steps and thouroughly enjoyed proper fish and chips again after years of thinking I would never taste them again.

However! I went about a month ago on Wednesday lunch time and was disapointed to find them closed.

Can anyone confirm that they are still operating and what days are they open at lunchtime. I am unable to get there on Saturdays but Fridays would be ok.

I have rang the number on the website a few times but been unable to get a reply.:help:

Janet

• 2 months later...
Look on the guardian website too for top 10 budget places to eat, I seem to recall they did a piece on Sheffield and green steps was in that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jun/02/sheffield-top-10-budget-food

7. Green Steps

A spin-off from what many regard as Sheffield's best chippy, Two Steps (249 Sharrow Vale Road, +44 (0)114 266 5694), this place offers a more progressive, touchy-feely take on fish 'n' chips. That means: sustainable fish, gluten-free batter and plenty of vegetarian options. The Guardian opts for "panga", a farmed, fresh water fish with dense flesh, rather like a thicker lemon sole. The fish isn't fried-to-order and, consequently, the interior of the batter is ever so slightly soggy in the fillet's thick mid-section, where it's been resting on its own weight. That, though, is a minor criticism. The batter is otherwise light and golden, the fish has been accurately cooked, and the chips are proper, fluffy thick-cut numbers, with a good mixture of crispness and slight caramelised chew to the exterior. You get a huge portion for your money, too.

• 22 Hickmott Road, +44 (0)114 266 8388. Fish 'n' chips, £4.30.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not at all surprised that the foaming at the mouth, angry mob who are all over other threads complaining that it's a disgrace that Subway on London Rd doesn't offer any pork for religious reasons don't seem to mind that there a chippy in Sheffield selling Fish and Chips, not made the traditional British way (ie with Flour) but without Gluten.

I wonder why they don't find that so irksome?

How droll, as if gluten-free is a life style choice.

• 1 year later...

Just requesting a quick update on this! I fancy taking my mum out for a meal, she's coeliacs so its quite difficult, would like her to be able to eat something other than the jacket potato she usually ends up with! Are these places still open does anyone know?

Archived