Royal Hotel Hillsborough

SYMM

Thanks retep about the position of Hillsborough Hall. Does anyone remember Softley's Farm opposite the Old Crown Inn.

Although the farmhouse didn't look too old the surrounding buildings and the dairy looked ancient.

The next farmhouse to it on Borough Road had a date over the door about 16??.

I wondered if there were any pictures or any interesting history attached to these old buildings?

Unfortunately they have gone with the wind.

Happy Days PopT

PopT mentions the piano man in the Royal, now I didn't know him but I remember Brian Pendleton subbing for the regular pianist a couple of times. I was walking toward the city along Penistone Road and heard the sound of the piano. As soon as I heard it I knew it wasn't no ordinary piano player. So I leapt in. And it was Brian P. There must've been about a dozen people in there. Next night, after I'd put the word around, it was packed out.

Just a thought though. It was Brian Pendleton, later to be with Syd Lawrence, Northern Dance Orchestra, etc; not Brian Pendleton the guitar player. I thought I'd better explain that.

Archived