Dress code

Cycleracer

Having been in London for the last seven years I am baffled by the whole dress code thing, very old fashioned and small minded - judging a book by it's cover... Even the trendiest bars don't bother in London. In fact in some places it's almost obligatory to dress scruffily (in the right kind of second hand clothes - carefully messed up hair way of course). I think this is partly because everyone goes out drinking straight after work, so not dressing smartly is almost a status symbol ie you work in a trendy design, new media, advertising company etc and are not some wide boy/ essex girl who works in the city and has to wear a suit. Plus of course all the bars restaurants are wise to the fact that what you wear has no bearing on wealth or status - you could be a pop star just about to break into the big time for all they know. Another thing is you don't get small scale violence/lads looking for trouble, everyone is very careful to avoid it as you don't know who may be carrying a gun!

Originally posted by cheaky_monkey

People who can really afford to wear Burberry are generally not football hooligans (who probably bought there fake shirts off the market) so i dont see why you say that Burberry in any form is a no no as there are plenty of respectable people who wear real Burberry who wouldnt cause any trouble at all.

So from your comment you ban Burberry from your bar? even if say some celebrity wanted to come in and happened to be wearing a burberry shirt???

If I had a bar, I'd ban burberry because it looks BLOODY STUPID, nothing to do with football.

• 2 years later...

it would seem most of the pubs on west street ban any sort of labelled designer gear associated with Football, Burburry, Stone Island to name a few. The last time i went out a lad i was with was in a smart cardi with a small stone island label on the sleeve. I reckon this jumper cost a few quid but he couldnt get in the S1 bar wearing it! !

I know my ex fella NEVER wears trousers or a shirt but looks pretty damn smart when he goes out. This is acceptable in trendy bars in town, but clubs like Kingdom think shirt and shoes is more accceptable.

Also, what constitutes 'trainers' i mean fair doos a lad.lass walks in with some ridiculous shox which yeah trainers but some nice trendy split toes or comfy leather trainer type shoes shouldnt really stop you getting into a club should they??

i realise its more about the clinetelle but i must admit i have had better nights where they isnt such a care about if you have jeans or trainers on. Its better than feeling like a tramp if your clothes didn't cost the earth. You can still look cool shopping at Primark!! :rant::confused:

The gradual deformalisation of revellers' attire surely began as a reaction to strict yet pointless dress codes enforced by an unfathomably out-of-touch bar and club industry. These various chains, many of which are scattered along West Street, would no doubt have welcomed Ian Brady, were wearing a nice pair of shoes and a shirt. I learned very quickly to avoid anywhere that dictated what its punters should wear, not because I believed it infringed my rights as an individual or because I didn't have a nice pair of shiny shoes, but because those were the places with the most trouble, the worst music and the most depressing atmospheres.

The question is: are these rules imposed exclusively by the management, or are they also self-imposed by the punters themselves? The fact that being able to wear pretty much anything we like quickly gave rise to a new, scruffier 'uniform' (ripped jeans, jeans that make you look like you've just had a jot of incontinence, 83-hair-cuts-in-one, stupid trainers that surely belong to Marty McFly circa 1985, suit jackets that have been set on fire and quickly doused with cat sick, etc. etc...) makes me believe the latter.

The fact is, people are sheep. However, a looser, more democratic approach to dress codes allow people to wear what they want. And they should wear what they feel comfortable in. Should anyone decide to dress dapper, then they are free to do so. Who knows? They might inspire some of the scruffy oiks to do the same...

For those who hate dress codes: just don't go to those places (quite simple really)! Sheffield has loads of wicked venues that are by far better than these s***holes anyway.

Originally posted by cheaky_monkey

People who can really afford to wear Burberry are generally not football hooligans (who probably bought there fake shirts off the market) so i dont see why you say that Burberry in any form is a no no as there are plenty of respectable people who wear real Burberry who wouldnt cause any trouble at all.

So from your comment you ban Burberry from your bar? even if say some celebrity wanted to come in and happened to be wearing a burberry shirt???

Burberry should be banned from all public places. Not because of it's associations with football hooliganism, but because it looks like someone has vomited all over you.

I agree with Karl T on this one- dress codes work well cos they make sure I know when to avoid an establishment!

to be fair tho I dress pretty smart anyway and have never had any problems anywhere but I avoid townie places like the plague on principal.

Da Bouncer- I don't think any football hooligans wear Burberry anymore..they like to think of themselves as a well dressed bunch!

Archived