Where do you go on a day out in London?

You must go to Harrods. Even if you can't afford to buy anything from there, it's nice to just have a look around. Although you can buy things from their food hall and stuff like that. For resturants, there is a load of Italian restrants called Bella Italia. There are quite a few in Leicester Square. The past two times we have been we have gone to the same one which is next to an ice cream store near one of the big night clubs. The food is so nice there.

Sometimes though, we have had our best times just wandering around and usually ended up spotting a few celebs!!!

When do you go?:D

Definately go to one of the museums, they're free.

I'd recommend the British Museum, the Natural History Museum or the V&A, but you'll not manage all 3 in one day.

Kew Gardens is nice and so is London Zoo.

Shopping has to include Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Selfridges, Carnaby Street, Regents Street, Bond Street (very expensive, so good for window shopping mainly) and Oxford Street.

The Aquarium is good and is near the London Eye, if your feeling brave.

We went in November and it was great, but v v v busy!

We went to see Saturday night fever on first night which was really good fun.

We also went to a Japanese restaurant called Bennihana's. Its one of those where they cook your food on the table in front of you.We went to the one in Chelsea, but apparently there are another 2. Its v pricey though, my boyfriend bought his mum a glass of brandy which was £20!!!!! He almost fainted!

If you want to go shopping, go to Oxford street, but prepare for your feet to ache as its a long day! You have got to go in Selfridges! Its the best shop ever for clothes, i blew a fortune in there.

We also went to Madame tussauds which is cool.

I wanted to go on the London Eye which is bloody huge but nobody would go on with me! :(

Have fun xxxxx

for shopping i'd reccomend covent garden, a nice place to look around too, also, camden for the more alternative shops but perhaps not with kids. For kids, I'd say the science museum is a must - great 'launchpad' section with loads of interactive features for kids, also, hampton court palace is nice, especially the gardens and maze. for resturants, chinese - got to be china town, there's a massive dim sum resturant which serves great food - go between 12 and 2pm for lunch :) Indian - check out brick lane for great curries. Anywhere in town - covent garden, leciester square etc has a good range of resturants, but for less pricy options try venturing out of the main centre :)

Some ideas

A walk -

Start at Charing Cross Tube, have a look at the new pedestrianised bit of Traflagar square and walk towards the River at Westminster and see the Houses of Parliament. Then cross the river either at Westminster Bridge or the snazzy New Hungerford Footbridge. On the South Bank, walk along the Thames to the London Eye, and maybe even go on it.

Keep walking until you get to the Tate Modern Gallery and go and have a look inside (free) and have a look at Shakespeare's globe while you are at it. From here you can either take a short walk further along the river and pop into Borough, a little explored area by tourists and have a look at the great food Market and see the replica of Drake's ship the Golden Hinde and have a pint in the old Thameside pub, lovely. Walk a bit further along the river and take a look at Tower Bridge.

Alternatively from the Tate you could walk along the 'wobbly' bridge to St Pauls - the views of the Thames are amazing.

Museums - all the major museums and galleries are free. The British Museum, the National Gallery, the Tate, The Science museum, take your pick, all fantastic.

Avoid Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus - rubbish tat: two good reasons why people who don't know London hate it - they go straight to these places and it they are both dumps then wonder what all the fuss is about

Shopping - Camden Market if you are there at the weekend, Covent Garden - I think Oxford Street is a dump myself, but the dept stores are good. Harrods for high tea is supposed to be good- about 8 quid for unlimited tea, cake and sandwiches.

You could do worse than wondering around Soho for lunch - lots of £4 all you can eat asian buffets.

The river trips down the Thames to Greenwich are good (1/3 off if you show your one day travel pass) try to go with one that has a live commentary rather than a recording, the guides are comedians.

Also the Tower of London is brilliant, allow about 4-5 hours though and do the guided tours and walks with the Beefeaters.

enjoy.

Have a look on lastminute.com and there might be some offers for theatre tickets for a show in the evening.

Archived