Where do you go on a day out in London?

When I go I tend to get dragged round:

Selfrdges

Harvey Nic's

Liberty

Harrods

Dickins & Jones

and all of the rest of Oxford St and Bond St.

Unless you're seriously into shopping; Avoid at all costs!!!

Did you know there is a farm on the Isle of Dogs? Now that's certainly worth a visit.

A while ago I found a couple of good web sites giving details of all sorts of things to do in London.

Here's a few ideas:

Hyde park and Kensington Gardens - Kensington Palace, Serpantine Gallery (hosts exhibitions of contemporary art in summer), Speakers corner (Sunday mornings)

The National History Museum - The restless earth (if you're interested in modern geological concepts such as plate tectronics and volcanic hotspots), The Earthquake Experience

Banqueting House (open Mon-Sat)

Changing of the guards - 11.30am (daily between April & July)

Cabinet War Rooms - (open 10.00 - 18.00 daily)

London Zoo

BBC Experience - advance bookings: http://www.bbc.co.uk/experience

The Wallace Collection - (Manchester Square) open Mon-Sat 10.00-17.00 Sun 14.00-17.00 it's one of Londons best kept secrets. Contains the private collection of Sir Richard Wallace.

Courtauld Gallery - located in Somerset House (a riverside palace newly restored)

Sir John Soane's Museum - 13 Lincoln's Inn Fields. Guided tours Saturday 14.30 but arrive well before tickets go on sale at 14.00 in order to obtain one of the 25 places.

The South Bank - HMS Belfast, Conran's Design Museum, County Hall, Vinopolis (if you love wine, you'll love this)!

if its nice weather you could go to kew gardens as well :) oh and hampstead heath/kenwood/highgate cemetary makes a great and interesting walk/picnic - highgate cemetary has famous people like karl marx, and hampstead heath is beautiful with films like Notting Hill filmed next to Kenwood House :) If you do go to Kenwood, visit the Spaniards Inn for a great historic and nice tasting pub lunch!

I know people have mentioned museums etc - but if you are going to brick lane and borough market, why not check out the tate modern whilst you're in the area :)

Originally posted by theflyingfish

One last thing - try and walk from place to place if they are closeish and don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to get the tube absolutely everywhere - you see so much more above ground.

This is true if you are going to use transport in London use the busses get on the top deck and see the world go by .By the way you can buy a transport day ticket that includes the underground and busses for about £7 that covers most of the areas of interest.

If you go to Morroco, or some of the ex communist bloc countries it is advisable to pay someone to be your guide, to negotiate stuff for you, show you round and ensure you stay safe.

I am a cockney by birth, I come cheap, know my way round London like the back of my hand, and..................would you believe it, free on the days you are thinking of going.

Originally posted by Silverblade

Update.....

I've just booked an extra night...on Sunday.....I'm staying in Travelodge by the way at £26 per room.

I fancy a look around Brick Lane and Petticoat lane on the Sunday.

Any where else I should try to see?

The London Eye is awesome by the way.....you just have to hope for a clear day!

£26 per room? thats cheap for London or is that the cost per hour lol.

I have been on the London Eye on a clear day and it is a fantastic site when you get to the top

Dont try to navigate your way round using a tube map. The plan isn't an accurate reproduction of where places are in relation to each other......

I'm only telling you this because I know people who've tried to do it.......

Archived