Over priced beer.

melv

well, as a fairly new resident of Hillsborough, can you tell me where to drink then? all i can find is a load of grotty pub co places centred around grim deep 'two dine for £5.99" style 'food', with electric pumped smooth ale being the only non lager choice (the park, the queens ground and by the looks of it, the shakey), places that look about as inviting as the grave (blue ball), that sports bar, and a lowest common denominator booze hall (wetherspoons).

the only pub I've been in so far and liked has been the new barrack tavern, but that's miles out the way if you are up at the top end of the park area, and just want a quick pint.

have i missed somewhere?

No basically.

New Barrack Tavern is pretty good and worth the walk. We usually jump on a bus and head down to Kelham Island for the Fat Cat, Tavern and Harlequin.

Off to Fat Cat for a few tomorrow night.

you have to think about how much the pubs are being charged for their barrels, there a certain products I wont get in because of the amount we would have to charge. We are leased off Punch Taverns and we have to ask in advance for timothy taylors as it is the most expensive cask. If the Pub is an independent leased off a Pub company their prices will be higher as they are charged a lot more than the chains or free holds.

well, as a fairly new resident of Hillsborough, can you tell me where to drink then? all i can find is a load of grotty pub co places centred around grim deep 'two dine for £5.99" style 'food', with electric pumped smooth ale being the only non lager choice (the park, the queens ground and by the looks of it, the shakey), places that look about as inviting as the grave (blue ball), that sports bar, and a lowest common denominator booze hall (wetherspoons).

the only pub I've been in so far and liked has been the new barrack tavern, but that's miles out the way if you are up at the top end of the park area, and just want a quick pint.

have i missed somewhere?

The Hillsborough Hotel is also well worth a visit, but from the sounds of it that's even more out of the way then the New Barrack Tavern for you. It's all part of the famous Kelham Island real ale pub crawl though. :-)

Peroni is £4.50 at Nonna's these days. Good views off the balcony though....

Shame they haven't been paying any of that £4.50 in VAT or tax, unlike other businesses, isn't it?

Nonnas Restaurant Ltd collapsed last month and has virtually no assets with which to pay a long list of creditors. Chief among them is HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) which was owed £230,000 in unpaid taxes ...

"The new trading company is Nonnas (Sheffield) Ltd. Previous directors Gian (Bohan) and Maurizio (Mori) are employed by the new company and continue to support the Nonnas brand.

Shame they haven't been paying any of that £4.50 in VAT or tax, unlike other businesses, isn't it?

Nonnas Restaurant Ltd collapsed last month and has virtually no assets with which to pay a long list of creditors. Chief among them is HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) which was owed £230,000 in unpaid taxes ...

"The new trading company is Nonnas (Sheffield) Ltd. Previous directors Gian (Bohan) and Maurizio (Mori) are employed by the new company and continue to support the Nonnas brand.

Nice scam if you can get away with it eh? Go bust owing money right, left and centre then just start up again a day later.

have i missed somewhere?

Last time I was in The Park they had decent hand pulled ales on, but didn't have much else going for it. As others have said, get a tram and do the Real Triangle around Shalesmoor!

Just got back from France and paid 8 euros for a pint of larger in Nice. Got a bit of food with it, but that is by far the most I have ever paid for a pint.

It was about £6 for a small bottle of lager in Iceland, a dramatic fall in price from a few years ago though!

Archived