Over priced beer.

melv

You talk a lot of prices but not much of value. Was it £14 worth of pie?

The food looked good, but .... £14 is way over the top! I'd want it filled with fillet steak and truffles for that sort of money.

The food looked good, but .... £14 is way over the top! I'd want it filled with fillet steak and truffles for that sort of money.

Maybe it was?

Let's look at the costs though:

Ingredients for pastry 50p

Ingredients for pie (a good one) £3

Time take to make pie 3 minutes (20 pies in an hour) x chef's wages 50p

Time take to take and deliver your order (10 minutes) x waiter wages 60p

Cost so far: £4.60

Add on:

Cost of washing your plate

Cost of renting the space your pie was made in

Cost of renting the space you sat in

Cost of refuse collection for waste associated with pie

17.5% VAT on pie

NI on employees

Cost of gas / electric to cook pie

Cost of electric to light pub

Cost of electric / gas to heat / cool pub

Your (admittedly very small) contribution to general pub repairs (window cleaning, painting, beer mats etc(

Tax on any remaining profit on the pie

Cost of pies that were made but never ordered - can't make it all to order so there will be some waste

All of a sudden £14 doesn't seem so bad.

i've eaten in the blue peter, and it was very nice. and i'm pretty sure i didnt pay £4 a pint, though it was probably 2 years ago, and it was out of season, when all the sweaty tourist types have gone back north. ;)

cf £2 in Nags Head in Loxley.

Some pubs really do take the pee!

You make as much money selling 50 bottles @ £3 as you do selling 75 bottles @ £2. Selling at a higher price so the pub is quieter and has a certain type of customer is not 'taking the pee' it's differentiation.

and it makes excellent pies for a fraction of that price bought from the nottingham house for instance seem far better value.

Indeed, but you don't get as much in the way of presentation or service at the Notty, which all has to be paid for.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone told me Harlequin has some ggod bottles at cheaper than taps? Is it worth the walk to Kelham way (I usually get a few drinks on way to train station and off home - Fridays always a possibility though.)

My suggestion would be to go in the Harlequin, ask about the bottles and have a good session for old times sake anyway!

I can tell you that I know a pub in Norwich that sells Floris fruit beers for £2.70 a bottle, as opposed to £3.60 at the Tap.

I can tell you that I know a pub in Norwich that sells Floris fruit beers for £2.70 a bottle, as opposed to £3.60 at the Tap.

Pubs are tied on different things. Some are tied just on what is served through the pumps, and others are tied on all but snacks, or all beers and cider but not spirits.

Sounds like the place in Norwich is tied on beer on tap, but not on bottles.

Archived