Stewart and Stewarts

Can anyone remember this department store that used to be on The Moor ? I used to be taken there to have my hair cut as a child and would be sat into a toy car in an effort to keep me confined ! They also had an Xray type of shoe measuring device, long ago banned !

Can anyone remember this department store that used to be on The Moor ? I used to be taken there to have my hair cut as a child and would be sat into a toy car in an effort to keep me confined ! They also had an Xray type of shoe measuring device, long ago banned !

I remember it, but I am sure it was on Pinstone Street. It practically ran the length of the street, opposite The Peace Gardens.

You`re right, that jogged my memory, it was oposite the Peace Gardens . I havent been back to Sheffield city centre for about 25 years, dont think I`d recognise it now ! We visit my great Aunt who still lives in her own home in Sheffield she is 100 years old in July but we havent been into town, must go on our next visit and see if my memories are the same as the reality !

Yes, it was on Pinstone Street, at the top of the Moor.

I was taken there as a kid by my Mum to get a new suit - short trousers and all -that's in the time when you were newly kitted out for Whitsuntide.

Still have a photo of me sat on Santa's knee having visited their Christmas grotto.

Yes, it was on Pinstone Street, at the top of the Moor.

I was taken there as a kid by my Mum to get a new suit - short trousers and all -that's in the time when you were newly kitted out for Whitsuntide.

Still have a photo of me sat on Santa's knee having visited their Christmas grotto.

I had my first suit from there, I didn't realise it was a department store I thought it was a taylors.

I seem to remember that Stewart and Stewarts was posh. The only thing I ever had from there was a school cap (King Ted's). It cost 12/6 and was a good one, but they were only 8/11 down the road at Roberts Brothers. :). That would have been around 1962; ten years later the shop had closed as it isn't mentioned in the 1973 Kelly's Directory.

• 2 years later...
I seem to remember that Stewart and Stewarts was posh. The only thing I ever had from there was a school cap (King Ted's). It cost 12/6 and was a good one, but they were only 8/11 down the road at Roberts Brothers. :). That would have been around 1962; ten years later the shop had closed as it isn't mentioned in the 1973 Kelly's Directory.

It is where Panasonic now are, I seem to think that S & S's frontage was wider, I wonder if it was split into several units.

Archived