Is crossing the road on the red man with kids anti social ?l

No. It's perfectly reasonable to cross with the red man if it's safe to do so.

It doesn't do children any harm to learn that either.

It doesn`t do any harm for children to learn that once they`re capable of judging speed, distance and danger. The thing is that I come across a good few adults that can`t do that, particularly the latter......

It doesn`t do any harm for children to learn that once they`re capable of judging speed, distance and danger.

I'd agree. If the children are under five, then I'd wait for the green man; beyond that, it's about time they were learning to judge road conditions. Otherwise they get to eighteen and still can't tell if it's safe to cross or not.

And if someone crosses the road on the red, and end up getting knocked down because the on-coming traffic still thinks they can go through the lights on red, don't come bitching from your Hospital bed, you know you're supposed to wait for the green, remember the TV ads in the late 70s/early 80s featuring David "Darth Vader" Prowse as the Green Cross Code Man? I do, and I've always observed correct road safety procedures ever since.

And if someone crosses the road on the red, and end up getting knocked down because the on-coming traffic still thinks they can go through the lights on red, don't come bitching from your Hospital bed, you know you're supposed to wait for the green, remember the TV ads in the late 70s/early 80s featuring David "Darth Vader" Prowse as the Green Cross Code Man? I do, and I've always observed correct road safety procedures ever since.

It would appear that you haven't. Correct road safety procedures involve you deciding for youself if it's safe to cross.

I'd rather teach my kids to make and trust their own judgements and if it's red and completely clear, then cross.

The way some are replying on this topic almost insinuates the green man is the only thing you should trust.

Yeah, that small nuggin of wisdom will be a great help when yer kids on't deck after being hit by a muppet trying to get through on amber but failing miserably.

I can almost imagine it, in the back of the ambulance, mom tries to console by saying "it wasn't your fault at all, you went on the green man as you've been taught and you had the right of way"

I believe that it has been shown that children are not capable of judging the speed of an oncoming car until they are around 11 years old, so it would make sense to train them to only cross with the green light until they are that age, and it would therefore be better if adults modelled that when children are present.

I do hope your nephew wasn't badly hurt Justin.

Archived