Is crossing the road on the red man with kids anti social ?l

I believe that it has been shown that children are not capable of judging the speed of an oncoming car until they are around 11 years old, so it would make sense to train them to only cross with the green light until they are that age, and it would therefore be better if adults modelled that when children are present.

Thank you, that's almost point for point what I was trying to say :)

And if someone crosses the road on the red, and end up getting knocked down because the on-coming traffic still thinks they can go through the lights on red, don't come bitching from your Hospital bed, you know you're supposed to wait for the green, remember the TV ads in the late 70s/early 80s featuring David "Darth Vader" Prowse as the Green Cross Code Man? I do, and I've always observed correct road safety procedures ever since.

So how would you cross the road then when there are no lights to tell you what to do?

If the lights are out, in that instance I would use my own judgement on when it was/wasn't safe to cross the road.

All I'm saying to the people who say they'd cross on the red, is that I would personally still wait for green even if there's nothing coming when the red's still on.

If the lights are out, in that instance I would use my own judgement on when it was/wasn't safe to cross the road.

All I'm saying to the people who say they'd cross on the red, is that I would personally still wait for green even if there's nothing coming when the red's still on.

I bet you got your road safety badge at scouts didnt you Rich :thumbsup: ... last week

No. It's perfectly reasonable to cross with the red man if it's safe to do so.

It doesn't do children any harm to learn that either.

But the crossings are there for a reason, to help people cross the road safely. There are plenty of opportunities to teach kids to cross a road without the green man but why teach them to put their lives at greater risk by crossing on red?

These types of crossings are usually placed on very busy roads or where visabilty isn't that great so they are far better off waiting. Being a driver I curse those with kids who make a run for it. Especially with younger ones, what happens if they fall? If they fall when the green man is on they are less likely to get run over than if a car comes around the corner through a green light and doesn't see them on the floor.

If you have teenage kids then fine, they are going to cross on red when you aren't there anyway :rolleyes: but I still make mine wait when I am there.

I believe that it has been shown that children are not capable of judging the speed of an oncoming car until they are around 11 years old

All of the hundred-odd children I used to go to school with must have been freaks then. We were all managing it quite handily at seven.

It's ill mannered and down right dangerous IMO. You should ALWAYS wait for the green even if there's nothing coming and the red's still on.

LOL.

say a there is a normal road which is 500 meters long, theres cars only coming from two possible sides and you can clearly see if there was a car as you would see one coming from 250 meters away, you wouldnt cross?

Archived