Is crossing the road on the red man with kids anti social ?l

I believe that it has been shown that children are not capable of judging the speed of an oncoming car until they are around 11 years old, so it would make sense to train them to only cross with the green light until they are that age, and it would therefore be better if adults modelled that when children are present.

I do hope your nephew wasn't badly hurt Justin.

Only a broken arm, thankfully, because it could have been a lot worse......

LOL.

say a there is a normal road which is 500 meters long, theres cars only coming from two possible sides and you can clearly see if there was a car as you would see one coming from 250 meters away, you wouldnt cross?

If there weren`t any kids about I`d cross, if they were any kids about I`d wait, and in fact do so at the crossing by the school which I use every day.

I`ve seen groups of kids with their parents all waiting for the green man, then one parent will often walk straight past the lot, holding his/her kids hand, and over on the red man.

Unbelievable.

If they`re not bothered about setting an example to their own kids that`s one thing, but don`t they feel an obligation to set an example to all the others ?

It never ceases to amaze me.

Usually if I'm crossing the road its because I'm trying to get somewhere. Waiting on red when there is nothing coming is frankly bizarre. I'd hate to think of the performance of the people that do when trying to pull out of a junction in a car. "Only pull out if there are no cars within a 6 mile radius".

I agree with the OP. Children can't be relied upon to make judgements about whether a road is safe until they are older, so simple rules are the way to go.

Who has been to Germany? It's quite odd when you are stood in a large crowd waiting to cross with no traffic in sight, yet no-one dares to set foot on the road until the green man is showing

LOL.

say a there is a normal road which is 500 meters long, theres cars only coming from two possible sides and you can clearly see if there was a car as you would see one coming from 250 meters away, you wouldnt cross?

No, you have a problem with that?

I always wait for the green man and cant tell you how many times in the 11 yrs that iv been a parent i have had to drag one of my kids back after they have set off following someone.

And out of the many times you have dragged your child back, has the person crossing every been run over?

Archived