Looking for information barker

katiec

I am trying to research my father's background. His mother was Edith Irene Barker she was unmarried when she gave birth to him in 1916, the address on the birth certificate states 194 Gleadless Road, Sheffield. I have come to a brick wall in my search. Can anyone advise me on the history of Gleadless Road, Sheffield in the 1916's, was it a facility for unmarried mothers? I am wondering if my father who was named Frank B Barker was possibly placed in a boy's home until his birth father took him in.

I would appreciate any info on this area in the 1916's, information from family members has been well guarded, most have now passed on and there are too many Barkers to try and track down, I have gone as far as I can with Ancestry/Genes Reunited.

Thanks Katiec

I am trying to research my father's background. His mother was Edith Irene Barker she was unmarried when she gave birth to him in 1916, the address on the birth certificate states 194 Gleadless Road, Sheffield. I have come to a brick wall in my search. Can anyone advise me on the history of Gleadless Road, Sheffield in the 1916's, was it a facility for unmarried mothers? I am wondering if my father who was named Frank B Barker was possibly placed in a boy's home until his birth father took him in.

I would appreciate any info on this area in the 1916's, information from family members has been well guarded, most have now passed on and there are too many Barkers to try and track down, I have gone as far as I can with Ancestry/Genes Reunited.

Thanks Katiec

Information for that period is very difficult to research. I have a similar problem with my father who was born in the 1920's also in the area of Gleadless Road but, nothing to do with an orphanage, it's merely where his mother lived at the time. I've been tied in knots for the last 17 years of researching my father's line and have found no information of value.

There are Burgess Rolls in the Local Studies Library Sheffield which list household members who are allowed to vote but, in the time scale you're looking for it's unlikely there would be any for that period in WW1 years.

What information do you have already about your father, do you have a birth/marriage certificate for him? You can pm me the details if you like rather than publicly posting and I'll have a look to see if there is anywhere to research further for you.

Sorry not to have been more helpful.

Duffems.

Archived