Big brown and white mixing bowls

My Nanans old house on Albert Road had a cellar which was packed to the gunnels with loads of stuff including her pancheons and other bowls like the ones on Amazon . She also had a little pedal organ in her front room and a lovely grandfather clock . When the houses were about to be demolished, they were ( at the ages of 89 ) moved to Cambridge Road off Kent Road and had to get rid of so much . Myself and all the family tried to make Nanan understand that she mustnt sell to people who came to the door and that we would take care of everything . Bless her, she was thrilled to bits when a " nice young man " gave her £100 for the lot and by the time we found out, it was too late, everything except for the basics, had gone !:(

I still have my Mums pancheon, big old thing. Brought it with me when we moved to Canada 19 years ago. My Mum used to make bread in it when I was a little girl (that was a very long time ago). She used to keep in on a shelf at the top of the celler stairs...used to call that place celler head, anyone else heard of that term?

Yep - the cellar head is what we called it, and still do in houses that are fortunate in having cellars! At our Dykes Hall Road house the fridge fitted neatly into the cellar head, and all kinds of useful things were stored in the cellars. This included my grandma's old pancheon, which my sister still has..:)

We always called it the cellar head too.On the top of the cellar head Mum had a Food Safe. I think these were used before fridges were around and she still used it for storing dried foods such as flour, rice, dried peas.

My Mum had both types of the earthenware panshions and I remember the big dark brown one used to be used for mixing wallpaper paste in latter years :hihi:

Yes the cellar head was a very useful storage place. I remember the cooked turkey kept there after Christmas dinner as you coud'nt get it in the tiny fridge we had. It was always very cold there especially in winter. I used to teeter over the cellar steps to steel some of the turkey...how I never fell its a miracle.

Archived