Ladies please don't miss your Cervical Smear.

Hi ladies,

I just wondered how you had got on with your results?

I have received the results of my cervical smear back this morning.

They have advised that I have a Borderline result and also have evidence of the HPV virus.

I have now got to wait for a letter from the hospital as I need to go for a Coloscopy.

I am really scared.

xx

Firstly I would like to wish all you ladies well with your procedures.

I havent been for a smear test since the middle 90's. And I dont know why to be honest cos I have 3 kids so I should be used to the embarassment.

But last week had a visit to the docs and they talked me into having one done. So I go this thursday for mine. After reading your posts I'm now glad I changed my mind.

can I also add mammograms to this list

I had my first one a year or so ago and I still remember the sick feeling I had when I got a call back, fortunately a second look at the offender with ultrasound showed it to be a ghost caused by the compression from the original machine

it still wasn't the most fun I'd had sitting in a waiting room waiting to be called in

I've had a few relatives die of cancer, it's not a nice way to die, not that any other way is particularly brilliant, get yourself checked regularly

and that goes for the men too, men can get breast cancer too I think the rate is around 2%

Been trying to get my OH to have one since I first met her in 2002.

She flatly refuses and has told the doc to stop sending her letters advising her to have them, god knows why she`s like this, she`s had three kids so a smear shouldnt be a problem yet she wont even debate it with me or anyone.

Jabbers, I have to admit, I'm in the same camp as your wife .. despite a friend dying last year from cervical cancer.

If I could just drop in and have one within an hour or so of deciding to, I would .. but I just cancel, cancel, cancel.

And no, I'm not happy with this deep down ! As I say, if I could make an appointment and be in and out within a couple of hours of making it, I would be ok.

Hi ladies,

I just wondered how you had got on with your results?

I have received the results of my cervical smear back this morning.

They have advised that I have a Borderline result and also have evidence of the HPV virus.

I have now got to wait for a letter from the hospital as I need to go for a Coloscopy.

I am really scared.

xx

Try not to worry, easier said than done, I know.

The fact that it's a borderline result means that the cells can revert back to normal without any treatment. They will probably just keep an eye on you and monitor for any further changes. If they remain as they are or start showing signs of further abnormal activity, they can be removed with laser treatment. I've got a lot of girlfriends who've had this procedure done with no adverse effects.

I read somewhere that over 60% of sexually active women have at some point had HPV in their lives, it's very common.

Good luck.

Yup, I had HPV when I was younger and although I went down to smears every 3 months or so, it cleared by itself with no further effects or need for intervention.

I can't answer for the long term effects though because I don't have a cervix any more so no longer need all the prodding :)

Jabbers, I have to admit, I'm in the same camp as your wife .. despite a friend dying last year from cervical cancer.

If I could just drop in and have one within an hour or so of deciding to, I would .. but I just cancel, cancel, cancel.

And no, I'm not happy with this deep down ! As I say, if I could make an appointment and be in and out within a couple of hours of making it, I would be ok.

Ok I dont know much about the mechanics of a smear test but it cant be that bad, can it? Any woman whose had a baby would think its a breeze...? Any woman who hasnt had one can soon swot up on the subject and no doubt it`ll not be as bas as imagined.

Forums like this one are perfect for this - I went in mortal dread of a vasectomy and after mentioning it here and Googling it I was still worried but not as much so. When the day for the snip came I was shocked at how simple and quick and painless it was and the people on this forum who I asked were right, it IS a simple thing even though I didnt quite believe them at the time.

Same for the Smear test and when alls said and done its a life saver.

Ok I dont know much about the mechanics of a smear test but it cant be that bad, can it? Any woman whose had a baby would think its a breeze...? Any woman who hasnt had one can soon swot up on the subject and no doubt it`ll not be as bas as imagined.

Forums like this one are perfect for this - I went in mortal dread of a vasectomy and after mentioning it here and Googling it I was still worried but not as much so. When the day for the snip came I was shocked at how simple and quick and painless it was and the people on this forum who I asked were right, it IS a simple thing even though I didnt quite believe them at the time.

Same for the Smear test and when alls said and done its a life saver.

I can think of other ways I would rather pass my time, however, it's a simple procedure which takes 30 seconds and causes mild discomfort, but for most women it's the embarrassment factor that puts them off. However, as you say, it is no worse than having an OB team poking around in your nether regions. It's worth it as it can be a life saver, cervical cancer is the most treatable of all cancers.

I can think of other ways I would rather pass my time, however, it's a simple procedure which takes 30 seconds and causes mild discomfort, but for most women it's the embarrassment factor that puts them off. However, as you say, it is no worse than having an OB team poking around in your nether regions. It's worth it as it can be a life saver, cervical cancer is the most treatable of all cancers.

And its pretty common too apparantly, is cervical cancer. Too common to give it a miss because of embarrassment, I wonder how many women have realised the horror of refusing the procedure once its too late and their days are numbered.

Archived