Going on holiday alone

I went away to Torquay in February on my own. I hated it. I felt so lonely and was embarrassed cos I was on my own - billy no mates. I was self-conscious of being on my own, wouldn't go down for breakfast/dinner. I am a bit shy but once someone starts talking to me, i am OK. My problem is I find it difficult to just go up and start talking to people - i feel as though I am intruding.

Hope you pluck up the courage to go to Canada, it'll be brilliant. Good luck

If you feel you would like a travelling partner........ female, 50years old,

I did a similar trip last year to Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise then onto Vancouver. It was fantastic, enjoyed every minute of it.

I went with Exodus. They don't have single supplements. If you don't mind sharing a twin room they just match you to someone of the same sex and roughly the same age.

Anyway, to whet your appetite here are my photos from the trip. :thumbsup:

I went to Egypt alone and I can reflect the same as everyone above, so long as you are careful it can be incredible and an amazing way to meet people.

However, where's my invitation? ;)

I'd love for you to come! is this a possibility? If so we need to talk when we go to the cinema on Tues/Wed.

I love your pics Taxman, I'm getting more determined to go. It looks brilliant. I think a week is way to short a time to go all that way but with the kids I can't leave them for more than a week.

The single supplement looks REALLY expensive, I may need to look into ways around that, i.e having Zebra or wooblywill come along. It'd be fantastic!.

Right now I need to go look at times of year, when did you go taxman that there was ice on the rockies? I don't mind going in the winter for the snow but would rather in autum or spring. I think.

Thanks everyone that has replied so far.

sounds good! Let me know if you need anyone to go with. I would definitely consider it. You live at Crookes, i live at Stannington so if need be we could meet up. I'll leave it up to you but whatever happens, go for it and enjoy yourself

Aww Anniec it sounds fantastic! I only wish I could offer to come with you!!

I quite enjoy my own company, and would certainly enjoy being able to do what I wanted, not something to amuse hubby and kids!

However I know there would be times when I probably would get lonely, as I'd also struggle to just go up and start talking to complete strangers.

The supplement side of things can make solo travel quite expensive, however many hotels will offer good deals, especially if you don't travel at a premium time, such as school holidays or Christmas.

Good luck with it! And if zebra does go, one of you had better put the pics on facebook so I can get even more jealous!

I went to that area recently with family and the canadians and travellers we met there were very friendly and approachable, so I dont think you'd have a problem meeting new people if you wanted to. People will tend to just talk to you in the street and in bars.

Go on your own, you will have a marvellous time. Take some books and your hiking boots.

For those who are thinking about travelling alone, I wouldn't recommend it enough. I went away twice on my own a year ago; USA and Australia/Dubai. I was a little nervous before as I had never travelled on my own, but once the journey started it was amazing. I discovered so much more about myself as well discovering new friends.

Archived