Sheffield Accent

I know there is probably already a thread that has addressed this but I was in a Shop in Blue Ash, Ohio, USA last week and someone walked up to me and said "Are you from Sheffield". Of course I took it as a great compliment I have been out of Sheffield 18 years but also, it must be a distinctive accent. Anyone else had a similar experience?

I know there is probably already a thread that has addressed this but I was in a Shop in Blue Ash, Ohio, USA last week and someone walked up to me and said "Are you from Sheffield". Of course I took it as a great compliment I have been out of Sheffield 18 years but also, it must be a distinctive accent. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Once a Sheffielder the accent does not leave you and by the same token you know the accent when other people speak.

I was on the ferry to Stornoway Wednesday and my phone rang from work after I has finished then went for a fag on the decks this guy came out and said are you from Yorkshire, I said yes Sheffield he said that accent is one of it's own.

We went back inside and low and behold there was 2 more people who came from Sheffield on the ferry.

We all met up that night for a pint and talked about the home town it was great. Sheffield people will talk to all folk regardles of their status which is something I am proud of.

I was on holiday in Bulgaria and we decided to visit Nessubar. While we were there we had a look round an old church. The local priest come out and said that he knew where we were from - Barnsley. I could not understand why he was so close as he was in the full Greek (Russian) orthodox regalia but he said he had done his training in Barnsley and knew the accent well.

That same evening we went into a restaurant in Nessubar expecting to have a typical Bulgarian meal, we ended up having roast beef and Yorkshire pudding! One of the couriers in charge of a party of English had brought them in for a typical English meal. I had met that particular courier about six months prior to then at a Holiday show in the Cutlers Hall.

Tha can't gerraway wi 'owt can tha. If tha'rt from Highgreen thi accent will never go away. Tha can gerrit surgically removed an' it'll still come back.:hihi:

I suppose it's the old saying, 'Tha can get outa Sheffield but tha can't get Sheffield outa thissen'.

I've just been watching a very interesting programme about 'The six degrees of separation'.

It has now been proven that we are all connected worldwide taking into account six people who are connected to each other in turn which on the face of it but it is a fact.

So it's not surprising that the world is shrinking by networking.

Happy days PopT

We were on holiday

in Ibiza, and i was talking in my favourite beach bar when someone came up to me and asked if i was from frecheville. I asked how the lady knew , and she replied that she was brought up there and that frecheville folk have their own accent. I was shocked to say the least.!

I was on holiday in Bulgaria and we decided to visit Nessubar. While we were there we had a look round an old church. The local priest come out and said that he knew where we were from - Barnsley. I could not understand why he was so close as he was in the full Greek (Russian) orthodox regalia but he said he had done his training in Barnsley and knew the accent well.

That same evening we went into a restaurant in Nessubar expecting to have a typical Bulgarian meal, we ended up having roast beef and Yorkshire pudding! One of the couriers in charge of a party of English had brought them in for a typical English meal. I had met that particular courier about six months prior to then at a Holiday show in the Cutlers Hall.

Just the thought of an orthodox mass being carried out in 'Barnsley speak' creases me up. I bet there is'nt a dry eye in the house.

He were'nt wearing a flat cap and a tykes scarf as well was he?

He was probably praying for more victories at Oakwell.:hihi::hihi:

I met two couples at the Falkirk Wheel in Scotland. Not only were they from Sheffield, which I noted by their accent, but it turned out that one of the guys actually worked for William Press on the gas pipeline in 1963, as did I. The pipeline I worked on ran towards Stannington from Strines.

EDIT - They may be waiting for me to post the pictures of the wheel in Geograph. If they read this I apologise, but will get around to it eventually.

I've lived here since I was 5, and come from Sheffield parents (they moved to Wombwell for a few years and that was where I was born), but I constantly get people thinking I'm from 'down south'.

Hardly anyone believes I was brought up here based on my accent, but it's not as though I've done anything to alter my accent really.

Archived