Sheffield Accent

I still have my accent despite being in Germany since 1984.

Once at a traffic light in Siegburg a lorry pulled up with the firms address on the door, it was a Sheffield company, the window was open and I shouted up to the driver "Nah then pal, ows tha dooin ?", he nearly fell out of the cab!

I only had time to ask him one question before the lights changed so I asked the all important one "Who's tha support" ?

"Wednesday", he said :rolleyes:..

I think I mention this once before but on arrival in Canada I was lost down town and stopping some very old lady to ask the way she had a Sheffield accent u could cut with a knife & in no time I soon found myself revert back to my old accent & when asking how long in Canada it was 65 yrs & to my ear just stepped off the boat

• 5 months later...

Having lived in the far East for almost thirty years I have developed a fairly neutral accent but quickly slip back into a Sheffield accent on visits home.

Or so I thought

I was in a pub in Darnall a couple of years ago with some old buddies and was thee-ing and thar-ing like a good un

Then this bloke at the bar said 'we don't get many Australians in here'

Cheek!

Archived